Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Jun 1995 22:20:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Mike Catlin <mjcatlin@wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us>
Subject:      turbodiesel Vanagon

On Sun, 25 Jun 1995, Joerg Rieger wrote:

>... Even though this is probably one of the slowest vehicles on the road, I love it (I used to drive them for the German postal service as a student)... > 2. In Germany, there is a turbo-diesel version. Does anybody know of any > place in the U.S. that works on these things? Is it possible to get an > engine and/or the additional parts and where?

Any good VW mechanic should be able to work on a turbodiesel. However, my VW parts man (A.J. at Wes Lasher VW in Sacramento) told me about a Canadian traveler who stopped by in his Westfalia turbodiesel to get a new air filter element. It had a VW part number printed on it, but it was not listed in any VW USA fiche or parts list. It was impossible for A.J. to get him a filter. So, any parts unique to the TD Vanagon are probably very hard to find in the US.

There is a machine shop in Eugene, Oregon that (I guess) specializes in rebuilding turbodiesel Jetta and Quantum motors. I will post their name and phone number here if anyone asks. There is a man in Sausalito, Calif. who will modify motor mounts and some other stuff to fit Jetta or Quantum turbodiesel engines into the Vanagon. Finally, there is a dismantler in England who specializes in transporters and who had a turbodiesel at one time. I would imagine that a German dismantler have all the parts needed for a conversion, but I have not been able to make contact with any.

I'm on step two of my Vanagon TD conversion. I found a motor and am now working on rebuilding it, but it has been impossible to find a set of pistons for a reasonable price. I've had thoughts of selling it if piston prices don't come down.

Mike <mjcatlin@wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us> '82 Vanagon diesel '84 Jetta ex turbodiesel '78 Rabbit diesel