Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Jun 1995 12:27:15 -0400
From:         SStueber@aol.com
Subject:      Fix loose CV bolts!!!!

Here's a potentially VERY BAD thing that can happen if those bolts get loose. I know because it happened to me. This was on my '73 Westy (I don't know what years/models could potentially be affected by this problem, but check yours out. On my bus, two of the bolts on the left CV had come loose. One of them eventually fell out leaving the locking plate free to move around on the other bolt. The locking plate actually cut through the brake line and I had no brakes! Luckily it happened as I was pulling into my driveway which is at a slight incline and I stopped before driving through my house, but it could just as easily happen driving down some huge hill. I can't believe they routed the brake lines that close to the CV's! I check my bolts very often now because I want to make damn sure that never happens again. When it happened, I raplaced all the bolts and all of the locking plates and used thread lock and torqued the bolts to about 5 ft-lbs. above spec. I haven't had any problems since. Check yours and make sure they are cool. It could save your life.

Sean Stueber '63 Kombi '73 Westy