Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Jun 95  17:21:05 EDT
From:         "Timothy D.F. Maddox" <TDMADD01@ulkyvm.louisville.edu>
Subject:      Whaaat is going on with that fuel system?

Should have brought this up a few weeks ago when my wife first brought the bus home, a barely chuggin in. She didn't think she would make it. Me, not being a great diagnostician, proceeded to do what I could--hoping for a cure. In the midst of the work I notice a smooth little metal plug, set it aside--never know when you might need a smooth little metal plug--and went back to work. About an hour latter I am starring at the carb, a solex, when suddenly my mind begins to register the fact there is a hole in the center of my carb, I can even see the gas sitting inside--I further connect the found metal plug and the hole and put the two back together, shoving that plug back in, no thread you know. I have never seen such a thing happen!!

Well I was going to ask about it but I've been busy trying to get the bus ready for our first camping trip. Besides, I figure it is due to all the backfiring I have been having with the bad--really bad--exaust system, and there is a new one on the way. And sure enough, with that new one, no more backfiring. Got that babe all tuned and about ready to go, took off this morning to target to get a spare fuse for the campmobile, came out, cranked over and there was a small "biff" of a backfire, couldn't believe it. Then I could barely get it started, chugged along with no power a couple of minute, pulled over with visions of that plug blowing out again and this time catching on fire, I'm not ready to use that new fire extinguisher I just bought, and rolled to a stop. When I when back to take a look both of my new red manifold seals for the dotal port were two inches in where they must have been blown of the connection. Slide them back, burned a couple fingers, she started right up and now I am home writing this.

Its a 1600, dual port, and when I last checked the compression it was 175-180 on all four. This is a new one to me, any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim & his 69 campmobile Woodstock