Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Jun 1995 17:30:17 PDT
From:         "Joshua R. Poulson" <jrp@plaza.ds.adp.com>
Subject:      Re: battery terminal

> What causes a battery terminal to corrode? The one that's on now is copper.

Believe it or not, the older non-sealed batteries emit hydrogen gas when they charge, often leading to corrosion if they don't get ventilated away effectively. If you are commonly in the practice of running down the battery and then charging it up again (like you sit there a long time with lights on) you run risk of this.

When electrons go running through a piece of wire, they attract postively charged ions into the metal. This makes things like corrosion more likely. It also makes things like electroplating possible. ;)

> The replacement is heavy-duty lead. Does that matter?

Different metals have different resistance to current, and different resistance to corrosion.

> Why didn't the > secondary battery kick in? Was it because it needed to go through the > primary battery whose contact was bad?

Depends on how things are wired. It could be that your second battery is not getting charged or used like you expected.

> How can you tell whether or not > the secondary battery is doing its job?

Take the terminals off the primary battery and see if you can still run your accessories. Some people set the second battery up to ONLY run accessories. Some people set it up to be switched over to. Some people set them up in parallel.

> What is its job? I always figured > it handled the interior lights and maybe the electric cooler that I never > use.

It could very well be, and it could also not be connected up so you can run the starter from it.

------------ Joshua R. Poulson, Systems Engineering, ADP Dealer Services, Portland, OR PGP Public Key available upon request