Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Jun 1995 20:56:43 -0700
From:         wabbott@townshend.Corp.Megatest.COM (William Abbott)
Subject:      VW Van kits, toys, for baywindow/breadloafs.

Steve Pribly wants a VW Bus model kit to match his '72 Camper.

Sorry Steve, There is no Bus (Baywindow or breadloaf) kit generally available. There is an 85 Vanagon kit from Revell, and it can be had from

Phoenix Model Co. PO Box 15390 Brooksville FL 34609

Phone 904 754 8522, FAX 904 754 1882

Page 11, middle of the left column in their current catalog lists:

Revell-Germany H7380 VW VAN UN (list)33.50 (sale)$25.13

you'll pay more on the collectors market - its a normal model car kit and no better than ones you'd pay $9.95- $12.95 for of other subjects, but of course, you and I don't want a Dodge Stealth... :(

Markings are for a UN vehicle involved in peacekeeping activities in Bosnia-Hertzigovina.

I've heard that the old Revell Split Window kit, recently re-issued as the 'customized' version that criminal minds did to the original mold in the 70s, is still available from

Denis Chung Think Small Models 6080 Clark Rd Ottawa Lake, MI 49267

phone 313 888 1409

I belive he makes a kit of additional parts to fix your Revell splitie kit back up- bumpers, stock wheel wells, tyres, etc. Its an ok kit- its as old as the subject originally! The mold was successivly reworked to turn it into a hippie pannel van, (windows were closed, but you can still see them on the inside- as faint marks anyway) and then defaced in the late 70s with the VW emblem turned into "CB" and a grotesque decal of a woman rollorskating (not 'blading) on the side- and huge CB antennas, no bumpers, etc. Original MicroBus versions go for $80 on the collectors market. The CB re-issues have no back seats. Engine detail is impressionistic. But its the only game in town. I've paid $5-$12 each for the three I have.

My favorite source for old models is

APC Hobbies Earlysville, VA 804 973 2705 804 973 8884 fax

Charlie and a nice woman who's name I don't remember are pleasent, know their business, charge popular prices. Charlie's politics are a bit to the right of mine, but might match yours... If you call, tell them you want either a new or an 'old' kit- separate data bases. I've been a happy customer for several years now.

There are a number of metal-toy bread-loafs, and I have several. They are hard to find- I got most from collectors who want silly prices.

Matchbox made a fair one, RHD, left-hand door. Pizza Delivery markings.

SUKU make a splendid double cab pickup and I've seen it suggested they also make a normal bus.

Tomy make a japanese (RHD) bread-loaf with an operating sliding door- a treasure from my trip in 1987.

I've also got a pretty bad Singaporian one- the only one with a sliding door on the right in my collection- it may have a sliding door on the left too!

Expect to pay $5-10 for Matchbox size (1:65) and SUKU (1:55) cars. 1:43 Breadloafs exist, but the only one I ever found was too much- $40? Whatever it was, it was more than I would pay.

Happy Motoring! Bill