Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jun 1995 06:23:26 GMT
From:         robb@scsc.shasta.cc.ca.us (Robb Lightfoot)
Subject:      hot oil? How hot is TOO hot??

Well, I have installed my VDO oil temp gauge with the sender in the small plate on the underside of the engine. Ruined a T-shirt doing so. I guess I should buy a creeper??

Anyway. I'm wondering about the oil temperatures I'm seeing. Motoring around town at 55, I'm seeing 215-220 with all 6 of us in the car. (A Westy with the sink pulled out and another Westy seat in the sink's place. I know. I know. I saved the sink to restore her to original one of these days...)

So here's my question. My wife takes the four kids up to a nearby lake. It is a pretty steep climb. She's doing 50-55 up the hill, and the temp hits 240, stays there.

(We're running valvoline 50 weight racing oil...thought of going to 60 weight, but seemed a bit much.)

So, I'm remembering that oil starts breaking down at 225 or so.

My questions are three fold.

1. What temp is "tolerable" so long as I change my oil at, say 1,500 mile intervals on this trip of 6-8000 miles?

2. What temp is "back off jack"? (And how do you back off? Slow to 50. Stop. Say a mantra while burning incense? Buy absolution?)

3. What temp is "pull over this instant before you totally screw it all up." (Before the pressure light comes on and the rods start playing 76 trombones....)

I have an external oil cooler, but the more I look at it, the more concerned I become. I can't seem to fit it above the tranny. Just too big. I could mount it amidships, but I'd have a LOT of line going to it, and I'd have to put a heavy grate in front of it to protect it. Also, I'm not sure how good the airflow would be unless I rigged a scoop or a fan.

Finally, as best as I can tell, the "inlet/outlet" plate that screws in place of the oil filter. (This is a 73 type IV) would have to have the hoses pass below the tinwork on the undersideof the underside of the cylinders. In other words, the hoses would be practically the lowest point of the car. I'm not real thrilled about this last item...

So, I may just put the cooler on the shelf. I have screwed all the fittings into their proper places, so I don't think BUS BOYS would take 'er back.... (Eh, Jim?) :)

So, I go back to the earlier questions. What are the "Great" "OK" and "STOP NOW" paramters for oil temp? How do I best cool down a hot engine...drive slower? Stop? Stop and idle?

Thanks in advance. My wife and four kids and I are taking the Westy, with a big cargo box on top from Sears and a bunch of gear on the road. I'd like to have few or no problems.... My wife wants to bring everthing. I look at that oil temp gauge and want to travel in the nude, no clothes, no sleeping bags.....

Thanks in advance.

Robb