Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jun 95 09:10:45 EDT
From:         psellers@ha.osd.mil (Pete Sellers)
Subject:      GNATT '95 - Trip Report

Vell now !!!!! ...

here's my contribution to massive reading for the summer. This is a long document.

It will take a while to get through completely (if you really care to do that)!!!

David - Thanks for the idea, cooperation, support and mutual participation. I wouldn't have missed it for the world!!!

For members on the list -

I openly envious of the closeness, support and cooperation provided to David by those, principly in the in the West (they REALLY support one of their own).

I wonder what it will take to get that kind of enthusiasm in other parts of the country!!! ;)

GNATT (24 May - 15 Jun 95)

TRIP REPORT

Submitted By: Pete SELLERS - pete.sellers@ha.osd.mil

Origin & Destination: Lorton, VA

General Trip Route: Lorton to Saint Louis, MO; to Hannibal, MO; to Dubuque, IA; to Austin, MN; to Sioux Falls, SD; to Rapid City, SD; to Ten Sleep, WY; to Cody, WY; to Bozeman, MT; to Kalispell, MT; to Fort Macleod, Alta-CAN; To Calgary,Alta-CAN; to Banff, Alta-CAN; to Revelstoke, BC-CAN; to Kamloops, BC-CAN; to Hope, BC-CAN; to Vancouver, BC-CAN; to Tacoma, WA; to Portland, OR; to Boise, ID; to Salt Lake City, UT; to Jackson, WY; to Dubois, WY; to Cheyenne, WY; to Ogalala, NE; to Lincoln, NE; to Council Bluffs, IA; to Saint Joseph, MO; to Kansas City, KS; to Springfield, MO; to Hardy, AR; to Nashville, TN; to Huntington, WV; to Morgantown, WV; to Rockville, MD; to Washington, DC; to Lorton, VA

Statistics

Travel weight (vehicle, equipment & driver): 5638 lbs.

Total Mileage: 8,391

Fuel: gallons 403 - price $493

MPG High: 22.04 Low: 16.76 Average: 19.816

Thoughts, Comments & Notes Enroute

Living in the Washington, DC area; having to observe, hear about and `live with' the actions of bureaucrats, governments and varying degrees of competence, It's easy to get both a different and a narrowed perspective of this land and the people in it.

I expect some who read this may make a similar journey while others who see this may never want to attempt such a journey like this.

Now that it's over, I've had time to let the dust settle and most of the `road sores' have healed, I look back and realize I had a wonderful memory that I hope to keep. I doubt, however, I doubt I will ever make a trip of this magnitude again!

I'd strongly recommend you take a trip like ours.

Get out of your familiar geography & the environment where you spend the majority of your months. It's a great world out there but you have to stop and smell the Roses to appreciate it!

My prime point of contact for planning and coordinating was David and I believe he did a masterful job of planning & coordinating.

As with every experience, there are things to be learned and applied ...next time.

If I need to plan similar trips in the future, I'll plan specific times-of-each-day (a range of hours) to start, a specified target destination for the day, several potential stops enroute, a target-maximum travel distance, with a specific, alternative daily destination (or two) and an agreed-upon stopping time for each day.

Many of the `mis-cues' we experienced related to compensating for communication and trying to adjust for individual preferences.

The traveling entourage varied from a single vehicle to a high of five vehicles.

Road Report

I claim and openly admit to being a pack-rat; an interesting circumstance allowed me to be recognized by acclimation a the champion pack-rat (explained below).

Departed Lorton, VA through DC's METRO area, transited the Rockville & Frederick & Hagerstown, MD communities.

I remember travels across the PA turnpike; Interstate 68 is a more pleasurable route (and it's free).

A short visit in West Virginia then Ohio. I used to think that travel across Ohio was the longest and most boring trek one could travel; that was before I experienced the Western States (more later).

Through Columbus, OH, Indianapolis and Effingham. IL then onto Saint Louis, MO.

In Saint Louis, I joined other Volkswagen van Owners for a most enthusiastic event, Busses By The Arch (BBTA).. The turn out was about 60 vehicles with about 126 people present.

For the first time, I met members of the VANAGON list with whom I'd been corresponding over the Internet. It was there that I met Joel, Sami & Maria, David & Shelley & Jerry (our list-serve administrator), Lorin & children.

Among the notable participants at BBTA, was a large contingent from Texas (approx. 13 vehicles with 23 people).

There also was a rather young(ish) group who opted to conduct experiments in physics and environmental science (they demonstrated what would happen and the effect of placing cans of tuna into open fires; they repeated the demonstrations numerous times, all BBTA participants were aware of this group).

As part of the planning for the trip, my SO, (Rose) would join me in Saint Louis; she interrupted an extended business trip (we were not really sure how long she would be able to stay with me). I had to bring equipment & supplies for a three-week journey, my personal clothing, clothing for Rose, and, we had discussed me bringing a items Rose would like to have with for the remainder of her business trip.

Additionally, I had scanned weather reports. There were widely varying conditions intermingled throughout the route. I packed sufficient clothing for the two of us (hot, warm and cold attire). By the time I arrived at BBTA in Saint Louis, I looked like I was making a permanent relocation.

My voluminous arrival was humorously noted by many in attendance.

At BBTA, we enjoyed heavy rain, and warm temperatures. Unfortunately, the site where we parked was low and soft. By the second day, we were parked in a quagmire. The water's natural flow collected underneath our site; we suffered the conversion of our dry clothing & equipment to mud-caked, as well as the sympathetic humor of other attendees.

There were recognition awards for categories at BBTA, based on certain categories of vehicle, equipment and driving characteristics.. David was recognized for driving the longest distance (my 1,009 mile trek, at this point, was only fourth longest).

Strangely, Eurovans (there were three in attendance) were barely acknowledged as being in the Volkswagen family. There was no specific category nor any comfortable manner to group the Eurovan into another category for award consideration.

I guess we Eurovan owners/operators need to let the world know we're here to stay! :)

After more socializing and a meal (Chef Boy-R-Pete at the grill) or two at BBTA, the VANAGON members departed with five vehicles heading north. Several participants made stops in various places; we agreed to meet near Fairport, Iowa. After another day of convoy travel, Joel had to break off & head back to Alabama. Mike White joined our travel group for a day and a night.

Somewhere between Decorah, Iowa and Minnesota we visited a cave, had a meal and split into two groups. Mike, Gerry, Lorin & children, and Sami & Maria headed north into Minnesota; Rose & Pete and David & Shelley went west to continue GNATT.

Our long (and lone) trek began to show some personality differences.

The two vehicles moved west, into South Dakota. We stopped at Wall Drug then drove through the Badlands (wonderful places to visit).

The vehicles and couples then split temporarily. Rose & Pete went through Wyoming (Devils Tower) and into Ten Sleep & Ten Sleep Canyon. The community is a great place to visit.

The Wyoming roads offered me a opportunity for speed and motion like I've never had before, in the Eurovan (Autobahn-style driving). :) :) :) And probably never will again!!

The roads in that area of Wyoming are flat, straight and open. I could get the Eurovan up to unimaginable speeds and then set the cruise. I enjoyed the thrill (imagine 5,600 lbs. in a Eurovan moving at speeds up to 95 MPH ... in cruise-control).

It was like taking a whale from a small river and placing it in the middle of an ocean with no restrictions or danger of bumping into anything. Wow!!!!!

We visited The Chief Crazy Horse Monument and Mount Rushmore. (For future trips, I like to go back to Crazy Horse; there is a Volks-March the first weekend in June every year).

Next, onto Cody Wyoming, & Yellowstone National Park (Old Faithful, et al).

Recall I mentioned taking a lot of clothing? Temperatures got so cold we were back in winter attire; we actually encountered 5-7 foot snow drifts.

We met a local family who graciously gave us an intimate tour of Yellowstone and the environs; we saw herds of buffalo (many had newborns and were nursing) and other large wildlife. The residents mentioned that we saw unusually large clusters of animals all over the park.

Rose & I then moved on to Bozeman, MT, where we went separate ways (Rose had to return to work).

Moving alone, I went into the Flathead Indian Reservation and onward to Glacier National Park/International Peace Park. I met David & Shelly again (while I waited for them, I explored more of the territory). We were in an area with an average annual snowfall of 60 feet (quite exciting)!!!

We planned to travel the `Road-To-The-Sky' but it was closed due to heavy residual snow; we had to travel around the Glacier Park.

Moving into Canada, with a stop at Fort Macleod where we got to explore a replica of an original fort of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (sometimes called the North West Mounted Police).

An unexpected surprise was an early-morning warning; the river near our campground was spilling over its banks and we needed to move "within the hour".

By the time we got to the highway we saw the highway had also been flooded; we had to take a circuitous detour. Onward ... to Calgary, Alberta.

The two vehicles' separate after Calgary (Pete went shopping for 'toys') !

After a brief tour of the city/community, I moved into Banff, the Banff National Park. Banff is very obviously a major tourist attraction (but it's worth it)!!!

Nowhere in my travels have I seen a city where I could stand in the middle of main street, look up & around, to all sides, and be intimidated by towering, raw mountain ranges. I can't sufficiently give respect to the view here; what I saw in Banff is awesome.

I moved west, into British Columbia's Glacier National Park and Rogers Pass. I was impressed by the Rockies in the United States but the US Rockies can't hold a candle to the Canadian Rockies. The view took my breath away!

Onward, through Revelstoke and Kamloops (cellular telephone and CB radio helped here). I rejoined David & Shelley for further movement.

We drove into a town called Hope and camped for the evening. I was up early the next morning and explored the town. Interestingly, Hope is the town where "Sly" Stallone's "Rambo-First Blood" was filmed; the town is openly proud of that; there's visitor/ promotion tour of the various sites used. Additionally, Hope is the (chainsaw) wood-carving capitol of the world; there are numerous exquisite examples of the craft on display.

We moved into Vancouver where we met with Tobin & Christa and other participants on the VANAGON list. We shared pizza & camaraderie (thanks much to Tobin & Christa). Vancouver is a most interesting city and having a host certainly helped. I felt we were imposing more than a little bit, however.

At some point, and for some reason, when I considered our next scheduled events, (to take a ferry to Victoria for an evening then back into the United States & points south). I had an undeniable urge to turn Eastward (toward home). I opted to pass Victoria and head toward home. Leaving Vancouver, I also separated from David & Shelley.

After a tour through the Grand Tetons, the balance of my trip was dedicated to visitng places, friends/relatives and spending more time with Rose, in the Mid-West.

The remainder of the trip was uneventful , except for one more unusual observation, NEBRASKA!!!!!!!

As mentioned before, Ohio WAS my most-dreaded state to cross ... until I experienced Nebraska.

Even at "risk-it" speeds, it took a full day and three fuel stops to cross that state. I was sure that any more time in the state and I'd be considered a resident.

My trip routed me through Ogalala, NE; to Lincoln, NE; to Council Bluffs, IA; to Saint Joseph, MO. Just south of Saint Joseph, I stopped to visit Fort Leavenworth, KS (the Buffalo Soldier Museum, highly inspiring). I recommend a stop at Fort Leavenworth!!!

I've mentioned sightings of VW vans & busses in various 'yards' along my route. There were some impressive looking vehicles for salvage or sale.

My route was then through Kansas City to Springfield, MO. I made a rest stop (repairs & recuperation) at Fort Leonard Wood (Branson is nearby and there's a wonderful eatery housed in a natural cave in the Ozarks (it's worth the visit).

Onward to Hardy, AR; to Nashville, TN; to Huntington, WV; to Morgantown, WV; to Rockville, MD; to Washington, DC; to Lorton, VA.

The whole trip was an event to be remembered but, when I got home, I was more than ready to park the Eurovan and walk for a while.

VEHICLES, PASSENGERS & PERSONALITIES

As I reflect back on who we are and how we related to each other I realized ..

Pete & Rose essentially lived and functioned with a body-clock in the Eastern time zone; David & Shelley functioned based on Pacific time.

While that may seem insignificant there were instances when our 'clock-functions' got in the way.

David (the driver) & Shelley are in their 20s and California-based. David's vehicle is a '73 VW Safare. I imagine, in normal operation, David's vehicle has a comfortable cruising speed of 55-60 MPH and a cruise range, on one tank, of approximately 175 miles.

Pete (the driver) & Rose are (probably more than twice David's & Shelley's age); primarily based in the East. Pete's vehicle is a '93 VW Eurovan. The Eurovan has a much higher 'comfort' cruising speed and a cruising range, on one tank, of approximately 375 miles. Additionally, I can set the Eurovan on cruise- control and just "role".

As a preference, Pete & Rose are early risers, have a meal then start to move, with sporadic (shopping & touring) stops. We prefer to get on a good highway (interstate), get up to speed, set the vehicle's cruise- and ride until we want (or need) to stop. We move a limited distance, try to stop just prior to sundown and set up for the evening (rest & relaxation). We get to bed early.

While moving with David & Shelley, I (we) would get up and be ready to move much earlier than they (remember Eastern vs Pacific time). I had decisions to make about whether to wait until David & Shelley were ready or to move without them. I really don't think I handled this especially well. At various times, I opted for one choice or the other (experimenting).

Correspondingly, David & Shelley would move with an apparent goal; to get to a designated site by the end of the day (regardless of the time).

I had problems to consider; I could move at a faster speed or cover a shorter distance or keep my vehicle close, at David's pace.

Keeping close to David, I could not use the cruise-control. I realized that by the end of any day, if I let David set the pace and I stayed with them, I was really exhausted at the end of that day. If I went ahead of David & Shelley, I incurred the risk of being somewhere we had not coordinated or agreed (cellular telephone and CD radio time)!.

SUMMATION

If you've read this far, I hope you've found enough to keep it interesting. Overall, the trip was well planned, even with my cited opportunities for improvement/alteration of future trips. I hope others will consider taking a trip like this.

For the next GNATT. I'd like to see emphasis placed on Eastern part of the Mid-West and the East Coast. To make this happen, or be a realistic consideration, there needs to be more active and visible participation by an East Coast 'list' membership.

Another consideration possibly ignored for this trip was advertising beyond our own list. At BBTA, several participants mentioned to me that they may have considered GNATT if they had known about it, in advance. The Volkswagen corporation has a bi-monthly publication which lists numerous events. GNATT could have also been listed there.

I consider GNATT a workable event that could be in place approximately every two years (I'm forming ideas now for the next GNATT).

CONCLUSION

David, other participants and planners of GNATT, I mean no personal attack, insult or denigration of your efforts, presence or absence related to the tour. I have given support by my empirical presence. I invite others to put actions in front of their words. I'm no literary genius and if I've offended anyone here (with commission or omission) it was not with malice.

I'm hoping to contribute to a more positive and enjoyable 'trek' in the future.

If I could get more of you to participate, in the future, by any means, for any distance, I'd do it and say it again!

I'd like to see more list-members' participation next time!

* * * * * * * * * * Pete Sellers "Constant And Never-ending Improvement"; Preparing for The 21st Century!!