Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jun 1995 10:12:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:         David Schwarze <des@teleport.com>
Subject:      Re: The maiden voyage

david woodward writes: > > On corners it seems to be very top heavy and it sways to and fro, if I > were to invest in some truck tires that can handle a double load will > this help? I need new front tires and possibly shocks, though tires are > priority.

My advice: Get some HR rated tires, or (second best) 8 or 6 ply tires with load range "C". > > The person I bought the bus from took out the second aux. battery that > sits under the bench seat. He also took the rely thing from the engin > compartment. Could I put a second battery in without the rely thing? It > seems that it might over tax the altinator (sp). Does the rely thing > switch the recharge/use to where it is needed (ie. interior lights, > fridge, to starter, headlights)?

Don't put in the second battery without the relay. You can get the relay at any decent RV parts store. Don't worry about overtaxing the alternator - that's not possible. > > I also sent away for a VDO oil temp gauge and a oil pressure gauge from > Rocky Mountain parts. I had two choices on the temp gauge and I chose > the one that replaces the dip stick (vs the one that I would need to > drill into the block) Is there a big difference between the two? I hope > I didn't make the wrong decision. Is it hard to install the pressure > gauge, by hard I mean is there any drilling etc. These are needed > because we will be driving first to Indianapolis, Indiana then on to New > Mexico and it will be hot.

No drilling should be needed for the pressure gauge. > > That brings me to my last question. When driving for long hours in > scorching heat is there anything I can do to increase cooling or decrease > the heat in my motor? Is it possible to keep a steady 70 MPH in that > heat?

Probably not. The best thing to keep the motor cool is to SLOW DOWN. You may be able to hold 70 with the 2-liter, but I wouldn't recommend it. Especially if you have the stock 73 transmission. Also, be sure your engine compartment is sealed. Open the lid, stick your head in and look around. Look for light shining through from the outside. Plug all holes and replace seals where necessary.

> By the way, what should I put in my road kit?

Every spare bus part you have, and every tool you can fit. :)

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) San Diego, California, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: des@teleport.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Sleeper) http://www.teleport.com/~des '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================