Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jun 1995 13:59:06 -0700
From:         jim@atcweb.atc.1dc.com (Jim Ellis)
Subject:      Re: Wash.DC(G.Dead)/Killer bus (L)

Regarding the killer bus. There are two of these puppies near me that were, according to the old plates, imported from Minnesota. I discovered them over a year ago from a tip that I was given at my old job. Someone thought they found a pair of 23's in someones back yard. I was there in a flash taking pictures of them and considered buying them but had nowhere to put them. The fella that owns them wanted them out from behind his rental mobile home. The buses that I saw were Mercedes 620? I forget but were '63 and '64. Simply they look like 23 windows on steroids. Really! Corner windows, sky light windows and sunroof. The engine in each of these were 4 cly diesels that mounted to the front suspension. The suspension and the engine were removed as abig 'ol unit through a hatch on the front of the bus. The driver entered from a door the nearly size of a interior home door! The passangers entered through the typical VW like cargo doors on the right side of the bus. Seats were high backed and done in red leather, white piping with trays on the back of the seats, similar to the airliner seat trays. Rear suspension was a dually set up. It chapped my rear not to buy these as they were offered as a pair for $200. The problem was rust, storage, parts availability, (like that has stopped me in the past), and the funds to make 'em run. These guys were sized like a 23 window that was increased in every size by about thirty percent. One aspect of the buses that tickled me especially were the six to eight little lights aross the rear roof line. VERY funky! I don't mean to pipe into every thread but these buses were/are bitchen! I'll try to find the photos tonight in order to identify the Merceres model number. I could see someone dumping a 454 V8 etc into these bad boys. They begged for someone to file bankruptcy over them! Not me, the wife and I decided that some times it's best to just take pictures and enjoy the pleasure of the hunt. =) .......................................Westfalia........................ Rusty VanBondo ----- Phoenix, Arizona (AZ) USA _|###|_ '67 SO 42 Resto _._________/___|___\ | 0=|_\_|_\_|=0 * * * | #### |O\ v /O| *+* * *+* *+* | |__|w|__| ***** *+* .........**+**....**+**......|_________||+---+||........***+***...**+**.