Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         27 Jun 95 23:21:27 EDT
From:         Scott.H.McQuilkin@dartmouth.edu (Scott H. McQuilkin)
Subject:      JoooOOOEL!

You ruined my suprise you silly (and bored) boy, you!

Well, as Frosty T. Snowman once said; HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

After some months of lurking, grovelling as a wannaWesty, and laughing my *beep*s off, I'm finally able to say that I am the proud owner of a 1971 VW Westfalia Campah' (as they say up in these heah pahts... a'yuh! ;-)

On 6/21 I purchased her (name to be seen below... yay!) for $700 from Gordi Davis, owner of 4-ever-4 in Marlow, NH (hence my inquiry about his character a few weeks back). After struggling for months to just *see* a '71 Westy, for that matter *any* Westy, or just any VW BUS, I stumbled upon her after a kind soul posted Gordi's number, gleaned from a classified ad in NM. I was going to look at a few restorations he was advertizing when we started shooting the poop about my interests, motivations, aspirations, etc... I told him about how my first car was a '73 SB, which I owned for five years in the mid '80s (I'm a ripe, old 24 :-), and that I wanted to start another relationship with a VW, this time a '71 Westy (for the reasons you've all heard before; the older engine and "those wonderful disc brakes"). He said that, incredibly, he just brought in the first one he's possessed in over three years, and that I should come down to scrutinize it, tho it's mechanicals were pretty sour (148k, I believe, w/ absolutely no documentation of maintenance [which will be changed when I plow through public title records to track down her history]). I accepted, and spent a good three hours just noodling around her, checking this, sliding that, and so on.

To cut the bandwidth, we agreed on $700, plus another $2500, which I'm going to sink into everything under the pans; engine, clutch, brakes (flex hoses, too), suspension, heater system, fuel lines and gas tank, and whatever else we settle on when we as it out at 10 am EST this Sat morning.

I'm aiming for two signed documents: one being a service warrantiy on as much as I can get, and two, a completion date pending my acceptance of work done.

Should have her home by the end of July.

To quote another familiar face John ja@coe.wvu.edu '71 Westy Virginia, '90 Corrado G60;

"This entire list is made up of some of the most wonderful, talented, knowledgeable, people I have ever had the pleasure of chatting with (even the ones that drive EV's). It is truly amazing that a VW split/loaf/vanagon/EV owner can turn to such a wealth of entertainment and information with usually only a modicum of light hearted ridicule. I hope to have the chance of meeting some of you in person some day."

Finally, I have to publically thank Dan, Dave, Joel, and Steve (and few others if I could remember who you were... sorry :-S ).

Enough of this wishy-washy gunk...

Let the games begin!

:-) Scott Ms. Moneypenny, my '71 Westy