Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Jun 1995 09:25:58 MST
From:         "Mike White" <MIKE.WHITE@law.utah.edu>
Subject:      Re: Speedometer

> On departure from the GNATT gang I became conerned that my speedometer > was not right (having been informed so by Dave Schwarze), so I checked it > with a stopwatch and an attempt and a steady speed. I determined that > when it was reading 65 I was really going about 57 and when it was > reading 70 I was really going 62. Now I know why I've been getting good > mileage, why the engine has lasted so well and why it always seems like > it takes us so long to get there. > > So. Can someone tell me if there's any way the cable or the EGR box could > be causing this, or is it most certainly the speedometer itself? > > Thanks for any help.

Gerry,

I have the same problem on my '67. It is running about the same as yours is. Passengers always wonder why we are being passed so much when my speedometer says 70! <g>

I originally suspected that my speedo was off because I have 15" wheels on the bus, but after considering it, my speedo should show lower than the actual speed.

Anyhow, I still sit here wondering what is wrong with it? I just remember that I am going 10MPH less than I think...

When I purchased my '57 I was amused to find out that it has the opposite problem. When you are on the freeway, it says you're going about 20MPH.

Well, it used to. On a trip to Moab the speedo made a nasty noise, and then suddenly the speedo quit. But the odomoter still works! Crazy crazy.

Well, enough rambling from me. Do you have different size wheels/tires?

- Mike White

[Mail: mike.white@law.utah.edu - mwhite@eng.utah.edu] [http://www.cc.utah.edu/~mw1759/index.html]