Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Jun 1995 00:39:56 -0700
From:         amunro@amunro.seanet.com (Alex Munro)
Subject:      Embarassing moment: '79 westy on fire

As long as we're spreading our embarassing moments (like CV problems), I'm going to share something that happened over a year ago to me.

My wife had been driving our '79 Westy for a couple of weeks. One night she told me that she had experienced an electrical problem: The entire electrical system (engine, lights, stereo) would all stutter momentarily while cornering. I drove the car briefly to pick up the kids, and found that her description was right on. Well, I'm no dummy. That's going to be a loose battery clamp or cable. It was dark outside when I took my flashlight, and a couple of open end wrenches to cure the problem. I opened the rear lid and saw that the battery had shifted toward the rear of the car a little ways (it had never been held down, but had gone 40,000 miles in this fashion with no problems). I grabbed the battery with the intention of moving it back to its rightful spot, but was greated by an arcing light show. Very similar to someone striking an arc welder really. Well of course I backed off, but realized that there was still some sort of electrical arcing going on. I had to do something quickly, sparks or no sparks. I grabbed the battery again, and was greated with more sparks. It took me a couple of tries to finally horse the battery in to position. I was somewhat relieved, but my problem wasn't over. For some reason I had turned off my flashlight briefly. But there was still light from the battery area. There was a small FIRE by my right tail light!!!

Before I go on, here's what happened: on my bus, and probably a lot of type IV buses, there is a charcoal filled vapor canister located by the tail light. It is a vertical unit with a fat plastic hose coming off the top, and one coming off the bottom. It is held in place with a hose clamp looking device (the real kind, not the VW kind ;) ). My clamp had quite a bit of excess sticking out, and that is what the positive post of my battery was coming in to contact with it. This contact generated quite a bit of heat, enough to MELT in to the vapor canister, and start the gas vapor soaked charcoal bits burning. They were trickling out at a constant rate, running rather like a good pellet stove. My thrashing around and spitting couldn't put the fire out.

Well, I'm known for being relatively cool in the head during stressful situations, and this was shaping up to be rather stressful. I knew we had a dry chem fire extinguisher in the bus, right inside the slider door. I got it out and got it prepared. I wish you all could hear the pathetic little puff that came out the end. OK. I also have a little Halon job in one of the rabbits, but I can't remember which one. One of them is parked across the street, and is locked. The other (and the likely one) was in the garage behind the house (Months later I stumbled upon the halon unit in the garaged car. It was a dud also). I'm not through yet. We have a garden hose, but it's in the back yard hooked to that faucet and won't reach from there. The side gate is also locked. I go through the house. My wife asks how it's going. "Okay. The bus is on fire." I've seen cars burn before. To completely engulf a car in flames takes about two minutes (just like the idiot manual reports...). I've already used up about one minute. Calm, cool and collected, I get the garden hoses from the back, jump over the gate, and hook it up at the front of the house. I get to the car with running water and am pleased to see the fire is still small. I hosed the hell out of it for several minutes. Damage was minor. The vapor canister is toast. I hooked up the tubes to bypass it (works fine, you'll figure it out). The electrical system is, suprisingly, just fine. Didn't even scorch my tail light wires.

I was lucky don't let this happen to you. Several lessons learned here: Keep a fresh fire extinguisher in your VW always. Don't work at night unless you have to. Bolt that battery down. Keep your cool, think clearly, and DO THE JOB RIGHT.