Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jun 1995 23:26:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Irl Carter <icarter@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Subject:      My late VWs

Please show me as a former owner, most recently of an '85 VW Camper automatic. I traded it in at approximately 175,000 miles; the odometer quit at 150,000 and I kept meticulous track of my miles in a notebook from then on. It overheated regularly; I took it to a guy who runs an Audi/VW shop here in Minneapolis, who fixed it on Friday, handed it over to me and left for the weekend. Three blocks away, entering the freeway, it overheated again. I nursed it toward home, stopped every couple of miles to let it cool again. I stopped after about 20 miles to put in new coolant, and the cap blew off in my face, scalding my hand and forearm. My own fault: I had put on a replacement cap, supposedly equal to the original, but it did not have the grooves down the cap threads to vent the pressure. So the cap came off explosively. Fortunately, the burns weren't bad, and I was wearing glasses, so no great harm done. But I decided I'd invested enough in it and traded it in. Though I miss it greatly, it was the best decision. Many problems with it, but never once did it strand me in a bad spot, except that last time. A major hose went out once, in Madison, WI, in the parking lot of the only motel in town with an empty room, within sight of a VW dealer, completely by accident. Two days later, it was fixed; we completed our business, and were on our way. I bought it with 30,000 miles on it (an elderly couple drove it to Arizona for three winters, supposedly; seems true), and headed West. Got to the Black Hills (500 miles) and heard a click in the rear wheels. A garage didn't know what it was. I stopped in Cody, WY; still no idea from a mechanic there. Same in Oregon. Never got any worse. Got back to Minneapolis, to the original dealer, Burnsville VW, and it cost me $700 to replace both CV joints. I asked why. Because they all wear out at 30,000 miles, he said. Because VW ships them with bad grease in the bearings, he said. I felt I had little choice, so didn't argue; maybe I should have told him it was a crock. Had to have a head planed once, when it warped from overheating. Cost $1200 once for serious brake work. Just a lot of little piddly things that got more frequent. But 175,000! What a car, what fun we had! If I could get a similar deal today for a similar price, I'd take it; I'd just be smarter about service. Incidentally, I think the automatic transmission was easy on the engine; that was the least trouble I've ever had with a VW engine; and the only automatic. I doubt I'd buy another VW without automatic. My first was a used '59 grocery delivery van that I put an aluminum storm window (small) in the side of and used city bus seats in. Second, a 67 Bug that got totalled without hurting any of my family! Third, a red '69 Bus that went to Washington to protest the Vietnam War. Then after a lapse, an orange '75 Camper that I bought when a deer totalled a station wagon. Then finally the '85 that went to both coasts, Canada to Texas. Had lots of difficulties with each of them, but loved them just like my kids! Lots of fond memories, such as pushing the '59 out of a muddy meadow in the Black Hills, inch by inch for an hour and a half. VW's; the machines you love to hate and hate to love.

PS--I haven't figured out how to send this to the whole newsgroup yet. Can you do that for me this time? Thanks, if so.