Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Jun 1995 12:02:42 -0300
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Newest Version of Coolant leaks

Yup title says it all, a heretofore "new" leak. The saga, '87 Syncro with minor but annoying incontinence on one side Bought used from VW dealer, with new head gaskets by PO. Severley pitted heads fixed with plastic aluminium in a tube, wow!, found this out by tracking down the POs mechanic Leak becoming steadier over 5 months so I dig into it.

Alternator mount is loose, one cracked support, two way loose nuts. Pull off the alt. and bracket, endeavouring to see exactly what's leaking on the heads. Noticed a big blob of blue silicone goop on one of the studs for the bracket. Pick it off and notice that the stud is loose, and that the drip rate went way up! Ah Ha! Stud hole is oval also. Unscrewed to stud with fingers, after noting that it wasn't parallel with the adjacent one, Ah Ha! Blue coolant flows freely out when the stud clears. Examine the alt. bracket, large amount of welding torch damage visible. It appears that the POs mechanic had removed the bracket by torching off the nuts, slagging the bracket and maybe the case around the stud also! To fix this the water jacket was redrilled and tapped, at a bit of an angle! Perhaps the mechanic broke the stud trying to remove it after slagging the whole thing. Net result, the idiot had drilled THROUGH the jacket into the coolant chamber! This may be the only source of leaks in my system, maybe. I'm hoping it's not the bogus head repair. Upside of this is: plastic aluminium MAY do as a 'temporary repair', it's lasted at least 10 months in my van so far. I'll let the list know if all the leaks go away after sealing the stud. If this is so then it might buy some time (1-2yrs?) for those of you who are cash short (like, ALL of us) when major leaks are going on. On the same theme, why can't our pitted heads (no Bradley, not prunes) be fill-welded with MIG and resurfaced, anyone? If you are trading your leaky van to a dealer then I would certainly try the plastic fix, after all, who gave you this problem in the first place? <g> I now need advice on the best material for coating the stud to build up a water tight structural fit, Permatex... Locktite..... I'm not looking for a silicone goop type sealant, something with a bit of body in it, ie. form-a-thread, plastic alu. in a tube? Anyone please, I want to get this as good as possible. Heli coil is out, I'd have to drop the engine or at least the muffler + rear heat shields to redrill. Besides, the stud will tighten in nicely, full threads there, just crooked and a bit too deep! TIA tim s.