Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Jun 1995 13:24:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:         RGOLEN@umassd.edu
Subject:      RE:Blowing Coolant Hoses Right and Left (VW Service)

Sergio...please do not make generalizations that ALL new VWs are pieces of shit...or do not last 200k miles like old beetles etc...

from my point of view that is just your OPINION...my perception of newer VWs is that they are, dare I say, even more reliable than their earlier air-cooled counterparts. What do I base this perception...or hell, even opinion on? FACTS...yep Facts...

In my storage area is my 1986 GTI which I took off the road in order to have a project car for my 16yr old son as he gets ready for his license...this GTI was purchased new by me in July 1986....it has 215k miles on the original engine/trans...it carried my wife and I to three local autocross championships, 4 local rally championships, Northeast East Divisional SCCA rally championship, 2 New England Regional SCCA rally championships...all while being used as a daily driver.. and for long distance trips.

I feel confident enough in the car that I will use it as a father/son project car and to have my son drive it as his first car...

Currently we own a 1993 EuroVan....it has 36k miles on it...totally trouble free...contrary to some of the "opinions" stated by the non-EuroVan owners on this list...it handles extremely well... it has plenty of power/torque...its is relatively quiet on the highway at speeds in excess of 75mph...bottom line I would buy another again....and again...and again!

I'm sorry that you have had tons of problems with your VW...perhaps you have a lemon...perhaps its bad karma...or VANma as the case may be...but your sample results don't jive with my sample results... therefore IMHO, your sample results are not valid!

Ric