Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Jun 1995 14:20:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:         RGOLEN@umassd.edu
Subject:      RE:Dealer Service

I think one of the keys to dealing with ANY department at a dealership... sales...parts...service is letting the "manager" know that:

1. you know your stuff.... 2. you don't take any $hit... 3. you EXPECT the job to be done right... 4. and if you aren't treated properly you will BITCH and BITCH and BITCH!!

Unfortunately if you don't communicate the above, you will be treated like a sheep...the sad part about the above is that you could probably replace "dealership" with restuarnt....doctor....lawyer....laundrymat... retail sales establishment, etc...etc...

Howmany people send food back when it isn't cooked to their expectation... or tell a doctor off after sitting in the waiting room and finally seeing the dweeb 1.5 hours AFTER your scheduled time?

Call me a pain in the ass....(ok...not so loud huh!) but I figure if I'm paying good money for something I expect that I get what I bargain for....

now back to the dealer....I have my local dealer trained....the sales people know that before I've walked in the door to buy a car I have the price, financing info down not only for his dealership, but for the competition as well...

I have bought enough parts that I was able not only to get the garage discount, but a line of credit as well...Hey, I don't get this stuff... I'll drive 10 minutes extra in the other direction and hit the other local VW dealership....

The service people know that I won't be too pleased if the work isn't done right the first time....

On the other hand, I do admit when someone goes out of their way, I will make sure that "extra" is rewarded...the parts guy gets a case of beer for Christmas...the service guys get a couple of bucks if they have done that little "extra"...

Bottom line...we have a nice arangement at my local dealership... sort of mutual respect...or mutual deterance...I don't know which.

But in the past 10 years I've bought 4 new cars from them...and a couple of used ones as well.

Ric