Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Jun 95 14:08:40 PDT
From:         stafford@alcor.hac.com (Jack Stafford)
Subject:      Re: 79 Bus--re unplugging drains and fixing turn signal

On Wed, 28 Jun 1995 Shmoooz@aol.com wrote: >I've got a 79 bus with a metal sliding roof that I just rebuilt so that it is >now functional. I, however, have been trying in vain to clear out the four >drain pipes. I've tried flexible cable (video coaxial), air pressure, coat >hangers, to no avail. > >Any advice or tips on how to clean out these pipes would be appreciated.

This may seem too obvious, but what the heck - here goes. Whatever junk is clogging the drain pipes came in through the top. Have you tried clearing the pipes from the bottom up? You might push whatever is stuck, up and out of the drain pipes. I've never had a sunroof, so I might be out-to-lunch on this topic. ;-)

>Also, just this evening, my turn signal started acting up. It blinks a few >times, then stops. The little green indicator on the dash stays lit, but the >lights outside do nothing (not lit). > >How should I troubleshoot this problem....better yet, does anyone know what >the problem is?

It sounds like a sticky relay. You should get a wiring diagram and a continuity tester and check through the circuit for the turn signals. If you do this first you'll narrow the problem down and save some bread.

TESTAMONIAL I lost the use of my hi-beam headlamps recently. I got prices for a replacement hi-beam relay ($20) and a replacement switch for the steering column ($90). These two items were suspect. Once I traced the hi-beam headlamp circuit with my continuity tester I found that a ground connection was broken. I replaced the broken spade connector ($0.05) and re-connected the brown wire to ground. The hi-beams work again!

Jack '73 Westy