Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Jun 1995 20:25:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Mike Catlin <mjcatlin@wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us>
Subject:      Re: Alternative engine swaps

On Mon, 26 Jun 1995, William Abbott wrote:

> For engine swap fans, Ian and I figured out how the gas > Rabbit engine goes into a Mexican Caravelle- its on its side at > 45 degrees. The tranny bell housing is very different, and has the two > upper engine bolt holes at about 11:30 and 2:30 Is the Diesel Vanagon > the same way? One of those Mexican bell housings is DEFINATELY on our > shopping list for the next trip! > Obviously the oil sump and pump-pick-up tube are different. > Would a Mexican gas engine sump have helped Stewart Hutton recently?

Bill,

This is very interesting. I had assumed the Mexican vans had a more upright engine. I too wonder if it's the same set up as the diesel Vanagon.

On the Diesel van, the two upper engine bolts (nearest the head) are at 1:00 and about 2:30 as you look at them from the tranmission side. The starter is at about 12:00, which is bracketed by bolts at 11:30 and 1:00. Part number on my diesel sump is 068 103 603A. I could send you a picture of the Vanagon diesel setup, to take on your next Mexico trip, if you want.

How are the motor mounts set up on the Mex. Caravelle?

Mike <mjcatlin@wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us> '82 Van. diesel