Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Jun 1995 23:57:57 -0400
From:         JeffMick@aol.com
Subject:      71 Westy - Alameda, CA -  $1,000

I've been eyeing a '71 Westy in Alameda, Calif for more than a month now, but have decided to take a pass and let someone else have a shot at it. It is your basic poptop, appears to have all canvas (incl tent), and NEEDS A MOTOR. The body is fine, no rust, and the red paint would probably rub out pretty well. Asking price $1,000; I think they would take half or two-thirds of that just to be rid of it.

Story (by owner's father) is that "it started smoking" on the freeway, so owner pulled over, and had it towed to Dad's home nearby (where I have seen it sit for several weeks). I crawled all over it, but not under it. Popped the top, checked the canvas, screens, and zippers -- real good. Looks good inside, jalousies good -- not new, but good. Odom says 60-something (160? 260?). Dad started it briefly, but it sounded so bad that I said to kill it (so it would still have core value). Didn't check steering, tranny, front-end, or nothin' like that. A real crap shoot.

It's parked in front of 1417-5th Street, Alameda CA. (From I-880, go thru Posey Tube. Continue on Wester Street till it T's with Central Ave. Right on Central for a few blocks. Right on 5th Street for 1/2 block. Red Westy is at the curb on the left with "for sale" sign on windshield. You can't miss it.) Sign says call (510)769-1089, which isn't an Alameda number, so probably daughter's phone.

I almost bought it for an immediate rebuilt engine swap, but I've got no place to do the work. Plus, for the money, I think I'm going to get a Detroit van of same vintage and camperize it as the summer passes. (Flame on, but remember what a sweet guy I was to tell you about this.)

Rotsa ruck.

Usual disclaimers.

--Jeff