Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Jun 1995 09:36:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:         jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu (James Brill)
Subject:      Re: Dealers and the American Way

Yes, count me in as one who is saving the world by fixing up a very old and rusty VW bus. At the very least it keeps my attentions away from thoughts of killing the neighbors and their barking dogs and loud cars and stereos. Not to mention the fact that some of them might make a living at a bank. This push-button world is certainly spiralling into something. I am not smart enough to know where exactly but it sure doesn't look good from my vantage point. From the moment I first laid a 13mm wrench on a VW motor I knew it was right. Muir is much better at explaining this, but the sense of accomplishment that comes from coaxing a hunk of steel to life with nothing more than a few handtools is the beginning of big things. When that motor died I set out to put in a new one. I am days away from yanking out the old one and putting in the new one. In the meantime I ride my bike and walk. When I am done fixing it myself I will drive it to hell and back, or at least California. Now, where does Joe or Jane Citizen get the same sense of satisfaction? Can it be from driving the Taurus through Jiffy Lube? Hey, they even to the carpets! Good thing I don't have any in the bus. I would really be getting ripped off. Let me jump off this soapbox now. Jim -- James A. Brill Jr. \\ // jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu \\ \\// // If you're not outraged University of Nebraska \\//\\// you're not paying attention. free-lance homo sapien \/ \/