Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Jun 95 12:31 PDT
From:         Scott Harvey                         <CNETSAH@mvs.oac.ucla.edu>
Subject:      Thought my Engine was a gonner!

Tell me if this doesn't raise fear -

On monday I took my 'falia to my mechanic for the 3K oil change. I drive home monday evening approx. 8 miles. Drive to the carpool place Tues. morning approx. 10 miles. Tues evening I'm driving home approx 2 miles and I'm stopped at a light and smell something buring. So I say to myself 'I sure hope that's not my car'. Light turns green I go and the burning smell is worse now - it smells like it's coming from the inside now. So I look out in my rear view mirror and what do I see? Nothing but smoke! First thought was my engine was on fire. Then I remembered the oil change and figured that oil must be pouring out onto the engine. So I coast into a track of homes and turn off the engine. All this happend in about 15-20 seconds in the space of about 100 yards. So I get it towed to my mechanic and he finds that the oil filter seal was bad (and I have about 1 quart left in the engine/ filter). He says that seals fail about 1 in 500. Does this sound right? Now I pretty much trust this guy and I've been going to him for seven years now. Or was this a case of someone not paying attention and perhaps crimping the seal to tight? not on straight? All's o.k. now. He replaced the filter and added oil and off I went. But when I saw that smoke so much was going through my mind and I was just waiting for the engine to seize.

-Scott. '81 'failia