Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Jun 1995 23:33:28 -0400
From:         JasonS1390@aol.com
Subject:      Fuel Questions & Miscellany.....

OK, fellow Bus owners, here's one for you. I went to the gas station next door from where I work and filled up with Sunoco's finest - about 12 gallons, plus whatever was in tank. Put the cap on, go in and pay the man, come out - puddle under driver's side rear, behind wheel. OK, no problem, maybe leftover rain collection? Nope - FUEL! NEXT TO GAS PUMPS! My thoughts of becoming the world's first orbiting Bus owner were zipping through my mind as I rolled the poor girl away from the scene of the crime. My thoughts being I can do this at work - who cares if I blow THAT up?!?!? I pop the engine cover, look inside - fuel dripping down by where the spare tire divot is. There seems to two metal lines joined by a wasted, 22 year old piece of tired fuel line that is pissing petrol everywhere. No prob, got extra 1/4" fuel line and hose clamps in the toolbox. After hosing left side of motor and puddle, remove old hose and replace with new - NO LEAK! OK, so great, the leak is fixed, my problem is solved. Best yet, no explosions! However, what the hell are these two metal pipes? They seem to route up through the air intakes, then back down through the charcoal canister. Did I simply overfill the tank, pressurize it with my non-vented gas cap, and send the overflow into some kind of tank vent? Inquiring minds want to know - before I suddenly become jet-propelled!

By the way, I run a bicycle shop. I found the best substance for cleaning old grime and grease off wheel bearings, engine bits, etc. is Schwinn Bicycle Degreaser. 12 oz can costs you $3.99, but free for me! Such are the perks.......

Thanks!

JasonS1390@aol.com '73 Sportsmobile Conversion T-2 Camper