Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jun 1995 10:50:49 CST6CDT
From:         "Dan Houg" <fairwind@northernnet.com>
Subject:      Re: Emissions Failure

There has been some good suggestions so far. He's my 2 cents worth.

False air leaks. this was mentioned and DO check this out (stuff in archives). your dealer said the engine ran 'too good'. this is probably a reference to a smooth idle, which seems to mean over-rich on these engines.

ECU grounds. yada yada yada. they make a difference. find 'em and clean 'em up.

Plug wires. I didn't see mention of plug *wire* replacement. they go bad quickly on these engines due to high heat, road grime, and a Bosch conspiracy.

Spark plugs. There are documented cases where the only difference between and emission failure (with new regular electrode plugs) and emission pass was the installation of tri-electrode plugs. Now here's the kicker: there is not a dealer listing/vw application for the tri-electrode plug for the 2.1L engine. there is for the 1.9L and just about every vw engine in current production but not the 2.1L. I can't for the life of me figure out why they dropped the tri-electrode from the application for this engine. They made a noticable difference on my 1.9L. I really wanted to stick a set of tri-electrode in my 2.1L but was scared off with thoughts of piston-plug clearance etc. Somebody help me out here.

Change your oil. If your oil is real old or for some reason got diluted with gas, you'll get out of this world emission readings.

Exhaust system leaks. a crack in the exhaust BEFORE the O2 sensor can suck in air during an exhaust pulse and make the sensor think the engine is lean, hence it richens itself.

Throttle switch. oh, yes. check that puppy out.

Since a wise list member said the fruit is on the END of the limb, i'll go out there and say that it's NOT your ECU, basic engine, air flow meter or any of that other horrible stuff. It's time to spend some obsessive time with the basics. A dealer won't (and you probably couldn't afford it if they did) do it right 'cause it will take time cleaning grounds, checking for air leaks, etc.

Hey! do you think i could start a radio show making sweeping generalizations like this? Naw, nobody would ever listen to it... :)

-dan