Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jun 1995 22:25:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:         tfab@netcom.com (thom fitzpatrick)
Subject:      And Now, the Rest of the Story

Ok, here it is.

First off, this is not directly VW related, but _is_ directly related to these lists and participation thereof.

One morning, my boss left me a voice mail saying he wanted to see me right off. Go into he office, and he tells me to shut the door. (uh-oh!) He then proceeds to tell me that he thinks I'm sending and recieving too much e-mail, and that it must cease immediately. I ask him if he is seeing anything detrimental in my performance, but he can't point to anything - all my projects are ahead of schedule! I point out that I spend a lot of time coming in on weekends and off hours to fix stuff, install patches, hardware bits, etc, but he says "it is up to me to choose the compensation for those activities, and email priveleges are not the compensation I choose to provide" and makes a big official reprimand to go in my "permanent record." Thats when I un-subscribed to the list.

The only way he knew anything about howmuch email going in and out was he got a buddy of his to show him where the uucp logs where.

That was like a Thursday or so.

Sunday, I went in at 6:00AM to install a patch and move some equipment, and then I dialed in about 4:30PM to make sure everything was hunky dory. As is my custom, I did a "who" and see my boss is on. Thats odd, on a Sunday... I do a ps, and see "vi sent" and I see thats even odder, this guy is A) too dumb to know how to use elm, or B) reading someone's e-mail.

So I su and do a tail on his .sh_history file, and can see the whole trail of where cd cd'd to /var/mail, su'd, did a vi on my mailbox and a couple of others, and then changed to /home/thom/mail, cp's sent to a temp directory, changed the ownership and permissions, and then did a vi on it. He even tried to run encrypt, but was too stupid to figger it out.

So I'm sitting here at home absolutely _seething_! I called him up with a chat program we had and just casually asked what was up "Just working on Neptune (another machine)" blah blah blah. "Oh," sez I, "I noticed that you were looking at my mailbox" Long, long pause, the "we'll talk about it Monday..."

I was _pissed_, so I hopped in the car and went down to the office to get my stuff. By the time I got there, I went to log in, and my account was locked. Now I was _really_ pissed! It was all I could do to restrain myself from downing the machine, booting with the install tape and do some serious damage! (BTW - due to the massive amounts of data they deal with (40-60G) they only back up small portions of it... _very_ vulnerable)

SO I packed up everything and left. later that night, he calls me at home and tells me I'm on administrative leave for the next day. I knew what that meant, but I'd already made up my mind that I didn't want the job even if they _weren't_ going to take it away from me!

I went in Tuesday morning, and the receptionist told me my boss wanted to see me in the conference room. So we meet, and he starts in with "I'm terminating you for ethical misconduct" blah blah blah and I just said "yeah, right" dropped my pager and access cards on the desk, snatched the check out of his and and walked out.

My inside sources (other programmers) overheard him on the phone with the phone office desperately pleading "I've _got_ to get rid of him, he's spying on me!"

Nobody else in the office was told why I left. He made the whole deal real hush_hush, which made everyone even more suspicious. My same source told me he was a nervous wreck for the next 3 days - I think I psyched him by not giving him the showdown and rationalization he so desperately needed.

And now, the rest of the story.

In the mail about a week later, I got the company's 1st quarter report. Last year's 1st quarter they did 25.9M gross. This years's 1st quarter was 3.4M. Two other programmers have been shown the door, albeit under more graceful circumstances, and another head was on the block bu reprieved when someone else left to get a job with the state. The telemarketing dept was gutted and replaced with part timers. A few days later the CEO announced his resignation.

And now you know, the _rest_ of the story.

Postscript:

I sent out 6 resume's, got 4 bites and 3 interviews. Got an offer from Raley's Corporate office in West Sacramento, which I accepted, but negotiated my start date to the end of May. I'm making over 6K more than when I was at transamerica, and I seem to be getting more respect.

I took my severance pay from Transamerica and all my newfound free time, and worked like the dickens on the bus, setting the goal of having it ready for the SOTO meet, Bug O Rama and the Bodega trip. Made all 3 and the bus was a hit!

Anyone out there work for TRW? They're Trans's biggest competitor, and this kinda info would be great marketing ammunition!

Any large core files you have laying about should be sent to cmark@tim.com or thenderson@tim.com (thats the putz that started stirring it up by leading him to the uucp logs) or send them to trans@netcom.com, where they will be billed for the disk space!

Thom -- Thom Fitzpatrick tfab@netcom.com