Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jun 1995 13:06:56 -0600 (MDT)
From:         Stuart Hutton <hutton@poly.oscs.montana.edu>
Subject:      (sink) water pump ... I built one

Normally, a water pump which will produce a high pressure can cost upwards of $70 or even higher. I found these prices to be unacceptable and also found my present water pump to be unacceptable (it was leaking brown gook into the water system and not working). Therefore, I resolved to find a better and a cheaper solution, which I believe I have.

I went to Wall Mart and bought a drill pump head for about $5 and tested it with my drill. It produced a nice high pressure stream of water as desired. Next, I want to yard sales with the to-be Dr. Ying and always told the people that I was looking for a DC motor. Amazingly enough, one person went back in his garage and pulled out 4 dc motors. I bought 2 for $5 each. The motors look like they came off of electric fan motors, and could probably be obtained from the junk yard. The motor that I used was about the size of a can of pop.

Anyway, I cut a piece of rubber tubing and placed it over the motor shaft and placed the other end over the drill pump head shaft. I clamped both with hose clamps (with the weights at 180 degrees from each other). I used normal garden hose connections to connect to my water tank and the pump head.

I hold the pump to the wood in the bottom of my cabinet right behind the fridge by using 2 corner braces and wood screws. The pump motor is actually suspended above the floor in order to reduce noise. This was possible with my motor since it had 2 long screws through its body.

The wiring which I used to connect the pump with was the original wiring which powered my other water pump. It is a bit smaller in gauge and does heat up a bit when I run my pump for long times, however it has not been so hot to smoke yet, so I always keep in mind not to run the pump for long periods.

This simple pump, together with the hose connections, cost under $20. We are quite happy with the results and can now enjoy a high pressure stream at our sink. In addition, I have connected a Y connection and a garden hose so that we can have a sprayer or, take note Martha, a hot shower by heating the water on the the stove and then recirculating it in the large water tank. With a single pump such as this, it is possible to park beside a stream, lower a hose and fill your water tanks quickly.

Perhaps the nicest thing about this system is this: The part which is probably going to fail first will be the pump head. With Wall Marts popping up like rabbits, it is a pretty good bet that you can almost always replace the head for about $5. That was, in fact, the reason I chose Wall Mart as the source of the pump head. I wanted to be able to always replace it without much money.

The system is not without problems, however. I do occasionally get some water dripping ... but overall, it works pretty good. Stuart Hutton