Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jun 1995 12:30:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:         jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu (James Brill)
Subject:      Re: bicycle racks

I saw this one at a bike race recently. I think the bus was a '78 but it should work on all bay windows and probably most splits. The guy took a Yakima that was for rain gutters and mounted it on the back door. You can pivot the mounts 90 degrees on the top cross bar to keep the thing from sliding off. The bikes point up. He had put the bike mounts far enough toward the outside so that you could get to the engine. He also said he used a big wooden dowel to keep the thing up if he wanted to open the back hatch. You could also use the "C" yakima rack with the rain gutter clips. You might need to use some extra silcone or something as I think the clip messed with the rubber seal a little. I looked at the arm that holds that door on there and it looks like it could take the extra weight of the rack and a couple of bikes. I don't know if I would risk more than that. Any experience with this? Jim -- James A. Brill Jr. \\ // jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu \\ \\// // If you're not outraged University of Nebraska \\//\\// you're not paying attention. free-lance homo sapien \/ \/