Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jun 95 16:32:41 EDT
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Vanagon gauge update

On Saturday, we departed for Montreal for a 200 mile roundtrip for Ottawa. This was the first first chance to test the effects of the following at sustained highway speeds: (an 82 Westfalia)

15W50 Synthetic; Newly installed Oil temp gauge (pressure and head temp gauge previously installed); Oil cooler thermostat (2nd oil cooler previously installed w/out therm.); Oil cooler fan w/ switch; Engine flaps thermostat connected in hot weather (usually a winter only item).

Here is what I expected: cooler head temps, overall higher oil pressure cooler oil temps ( all based on claimed benefits of synthetic).

Here is what I found: 1) trip to Montreal; 17-18C (68 F) slight tail wind; constant rain, 60-65 mph av. speed on highway:

head temp: 375F (325-350 is the norm); oil temp: 180-195F (215 is smack in the middle of the gauge); oil pressure: 35-40 psi; 2nd cooler fan did not come on once.

2) trip back to Ottawa; 25 C (80ish), slight head/cross wind, 65-70 highway speed).

head temp: 375F oil temp: 190-210 F oil pressure 30-35 psi fan on constantly at speeds above 60 mph.

After shut down the fan run for another 10 minutes and the oil temp climbed to 220F before it was cooled off.

What can I conclude from this: a) synthetic is less impressive than i thought it would be - its benefits are probably best realised at startup and in very cold weather; Synth does tend to shed its heater quicker at cool down but the 50 Weight seems to thin for really hot days. Perhaps mixing dino with synth will yield better results, or maybe a single grade 40W? b) head temps are hotter than normal and this may be due to the thermostat for the flaps being hooked up constantly. I have since disconnected the thermostat and "wired" the flaps fully open. This may lead to different results; c) oil temps look good and i think this is the result of the 2nd cooler; when the fan switches on the oil does not go much above 200F (can't say I like it running constantly though- it may be a function of the lousy cooler). d) I think the oil pressure gauge is giving false readings (at least i hope this the case.) Why? Two reasons. After coming off the highway the gauge read 5psi at idle but no red light (set to come on at 7-10psi). The oil temp (assuming it is accurate does not always seem to jibe with what would be expected at the oil pressure gauge. For example, oil temp will read 180 and oil pressure might be 50 psi. Once temps go above 190, however oil pressure tends to fall on the wrong side of 40psi but does not deviate much no matter how hot the oil gets.

This morning I installed a HD oil pressure relief spring. It is almost twice the length of the normal spring. I thought this might result in higher pressures all around. The result? 10 psi at COLD startup (normally 60 pi-70psi) and no more than 30 psi with a rev of the engine. I took it out assuming that the spring was so strong that it was forcing the valve to severely constrict the flow of oil.

So, what can i conclude? Be wary of the oil pressure gauge (VDO) as the sole indicator of engine performance, Keep an eye on the oil temps and head temp. and expect everything to get much hotter when speeds are 60 mph or higher. Synth is good but not a panacea. Don't expect it to solve any problems, real or perceived.

I should add by the way that the van has never driven better and would have easily gone above 75 had it been pushed -

David C.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------