Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jun 1995 17:49:36 -0300
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Ignition prob ?, '85

Here's something I could use a hand on from them wot know.

The current owner of my '85 (well, his now I guess) called to say it wouldn't start, but had been running fine etc. I cleaned all the ground wires for the FI system, cleaned all connectors on Hall unit, idle stabilizer, distributor, brain. And it started/ran fine.

Ten minutes later on a test drive it lost power and died. The previous and present problem was "no spark", nada at the plugs. More plugging and unplugging of connectors and vroom we're off again. I go home happy, only to get a call 1 hr later, same prob. Go clean some more ground wires, vroom we're off, but the engine had cooled down while I was getting there. No repeat problems for 4 days city driving. Then he goes 120 miles highway, some city driving and boompf, dead again. The guy got it going himself, plug/unplug. Next day, another 10 miles highway and it dies. No go this time. I'm waiting to hear the outcome.

I checked the Hall circuits, idle stabilizer, wiring harness, coil resistance, wire resistances, every test possible under Bentley etc.. All passed A-OK twice! Did all checks with engine cold, some when hot. Spent 5 hours last weekend on someone elses bus, grumble, should've sold it for more, grumpf.

Has anyone had a slow/intermittent failure of an ignition component that occurs after the engine/component has warmed up? ie some thermal problem with the electronics. Could this be my coil simply giving out? None of the ignition bits have ever been replaced since 1988, 7 years use. When the van is running there are no problems at all, it just suddenly looses its spark! TIA. tim s.