Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 08 Jun 95 12:45:46 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      more VW Autoist: shameless plug for Roamin' Holiday :)

well, it is! a shameless plug, that is. :)

VW Autoist, May/June 1995. p. 10

Roamin' Holiday - Rental Vanagons in New Mexico turn vacationers into Happy Campers by Bill Bowman

The Southwestern United States is an incredible outdoor playground for vacationers who want to explore the high deserts, Native American lands, the forests and peaks of the Rocky Mountains, as well as pueblos, ghost towns and the Southwest's cosmopolitan cities. In the middle of it all is Albuquerque, N.M., a perfect base to start an adventure through this scenic region.

What better way to see all the sights than in a fully equipped Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia camper? A unique new service called Roamin' Holiday specializes in vacation rentals of late-model Westfalias out of Albuquerque.

Your hosts at Roamin' Holiday are Tom Brouillette and Jim Mateer, both longtime VW enthusiasts. They provide clean, durable Westfalias for your use as you wander through the scenic delights of the Southwest. In their camper you're free of the expense of car rental, hotel rooms and restaurants because your home is wherever you park it. Their rentals are fully insured, reliable and well equipped. All you need to do is arrive in Albuquerque, and Tom and Jim will be ready to start you off on your adventure.

Roamin' Holiday offers two travel options: $70 a day with 110 free miles per day (20 cents a mile over) or $85 a day, unlimited mileage.

The housekeeping kit is $35 per person per trip and includes items such as towels, sheets, blankets, comforters, pots and pans, dishware, and glassware. Included at no charge is use of campground directory (Woodall's), maps, tour books, shuttle service to and from airport or hotels, and a small lending library of other books is available. Also offered is a first-aid kit, flashlight, fire extinguisher and other items. All the Westfalias are water-cooled ones with complete camping kits (stove, fridge, etc.).

Although there are so many attractions to see, Kathryn and I wanted to wander through northwestern New Mexico and southwestern Colorado during early October and see everything during the autumn colors season. We live in St. Louis and had about 10 days off for the vacation. I should mention that we personally own a beautiful low-mileage '87 Vanagon Camper GL exactly like the one we rented from Roamin' Holiday! But we quickly realized that to use our own Westy, we would have used up four days of our short vacation just driving to and from St. Louis.

So we wisely took advantage of the airlines and the services of Roamin' Holiday. We chose the unlimited mileage option, and so we only had to arrive with our clothes, we chose the housekeeping option, too. After being picked up at the airport, we were briefed about our camper, which was already filled with fuel, propane and drinking water. All we had to do was stop at a market for groceries and sundries and we were on our way.

We meandered and enjoyed the next eight days visiting the famous Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway, Mesa Verde National Park, Telluride, the Colorado National Monument, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Crested Butte, Lake City, Chama and lots of gorgeous high desert and alpine scenery.

The autumn colors were spectacular! The Vanagon Westfalia ran flawlessly and strongly over eight different 10,000-foot-plus mountain passes. We had a great time and really enjoyed our experience with Roamin' Holiday. We only regretted having to go back to reality as Tom dropped us off for our flight home.

We'll definitely be back to wander off in new directions in the future.

<If you're interested by the possibilities and would like to know more about this great, new VW service, call (800) 969-8040 or (505) 869-8040 for a free brochure, and Tom will answer your questions.