Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Jun 1995 21:40:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Tobin T. Copley" <tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca>
Subject:      GNATT: Vancouver Pizza lunch report

GNATT Pizza, Vancouver, Canada June 9, 1995

Hello everyone!!

Today David Scwarze, his lovely partner Shelley, and Pete Sellers rolled into Vancouver for the Official Vancouver GNATT Pizza Lunch. Christa and I arrived at Coach's Corner Pizza about 20 minutes early, and found David, Shelley, and Pete already in the parking lot. We pulled in honked, and went over to welcome the gang to Vancouver (well, ok, Burnaby).

Many thanks to Harry Yates for recommending this venue--it was absolutely perfect! Great pizza, very friendly staff, and easy access from the freeway for our out-of-town friends. Unfortunately, Harry was not able to make it, as he had received some time off and had headed East to do some camping in the Kootenays the night before.

David's '73 Safare Custom camper was even more amazing than when I saw it last at the Big Sur, CA meet in January. His solar panels were pretty trick, he has a CB on the dash just below the headlight switch, and (eat your heart out, Martha) he has a working microwave! In fact, both David AND Pete have microwaves in their vehicles, although I'm not sure if Pete's needs "shore power" to operate. Pete's Eurovan was really nice, with an awning, add-a-room type tent, and a 2.5L five cylider powerplant. Sounded pretty smooth, and Pete was zipping around real fast. Pete also managed to load his car with an unbelievable amount of stuff, and he was hauling all this stuff around the country. Did I mention the microwave? Pete was a long way from home: he started for BBTA from his home in Virginia May 24.

As it was an unbearably hot day (well, 78 F is a heat wave in Vancouver!), we decided to retire to the restaurant and talk over some brews. A few minutes later, Sailboarder-guy Mark Sadul pulls up in his '78 Transporter, complete with mast on the roof and board inside! Mark joins us, and we have Spring Pale Ales all around. Christa, Shelley and I split a vegitarian pizza, David and Mark split one with meat stuff on it, and Pete just couldn't resist the Halibut and Chips. Good VW travel talk all around. Christa and I show the others our US/Mex/Canada Big Trip photo album to the others, and it is well received. Then it's time to pay up and move back to the parking lot to stick our noses in everyone else's buses.

I covet the Schwarzemeister's BBTA Longest Distance Driven Award he has on his dashboard. Maybe next year C and I will go and pick one up! After much poking about, Mark leaves to go back to work :( . The others would like to see a little bit of vancouver while they're in town, so we caravan to my place in the West End, where we drop off Christa 'cause she has to catch some zzzz before working later that night. Because it's mid-afternoon by now, we decide it would by silly to drive toward Tsawwassen for the ferry to vancouver Island now, since they would only get stuck in Friday afternoon rush hour and sit in their cars stuck in traffic for a couple (or more) hours.

We drive down to Sunset Beach and take the False Creek Ferry to Granville Island for some sightseeing and shopping. Shelley buys a candle and hand bag, Pete buys Salmon Jerky and Smoked Salmon. We return to Sunset Beach, and try to call Alistair Bell to tell him GNATT is runninglate. No dice; can't find his number. Pete decides to head south to Whidbey Island, maybe to meet up with david again at Port Angeles the next day. david and Shelley decide to crash Alistair's place even if they can't warn him they're late (or even that they're coming at all!).

We caravan out of the city towards Hwy 99 in moderate traffic. I pull off at the entrace to the Oak Street Bridge, and wave them on south. Way to go, GNATT!!

I encourage everyone remotely close to the GNATT route to try an join up, even if it's just for a few miles. The GNATT route and schedule should be in the list archives, and is also on David's web homepage (sorry, don't have the address handy right now).

A great day with great folks. Let's do it again sometime!

Tobin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tobin T. Copley Currently ============= (604) 689-2660 Occupationally /_| |__||__| :| putta tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca Challenged! O| | putta '-()-------()-' Circum-continental USA, Mexico, Canada 15,000 miles... '76 VW Camper! (Mango)