Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Jun 1995 21:29:28 -0500
From:         Erin Lassley <dl63832@LTEC.NET>
Subject:      More Junkyard Bugs

Howdy all. I don't get a chance to post here often cuz well, I don't have much to say I guess. Just thought I would tell you all about my nice afternoon in Fairbury, NE today.

I hit a post with my bug last weekend and dented the door and running board pretty bad (ouch!) so I was in need of a 72 Super Beetle door (ya know the one with the squeeze lever with the 2 rounded notches for your fingers?) so I trekked on over Peitzers auto salvage and found some more goodies.

Out here in the Midwest, VW Busses are *VERY* rare. I have only seen 2 running on the road and they were both newer one piece window busses. In this junk yard was one of the newer busses which is almost all there minus the engine and a few of the internal items. It's pretty well rusted out though. I did find about 3 to 4 old splittys although they are all carcasses and minus their engines, and one has the old bullet style turn signals on the front in tact! The plastic lenses are cracked but the housing and all is there. All the splitties had some kind of fresh air console unit up front on the ceiling. I am guessing this was standard. One old bus has the split doors on the side whereas the others were sliding doors and this same bus with the split door had the pop-out windows all along the side but alas, not a 21 or 23 window (I still want to find one of those! :-))

I was able to get 4 VW logos off the various bugs, got my door I needed, a 1963 turn signal, glass headlight cover, and a 72 wiper motor which I hope works!

There was one fastback carcass, and quite a few type III carcasses but no Ghia's anywhere to be seen. I was pleasantly surprised to see a VW_412_S (?) which is all complete (minus it's VW logo) and out of all these VW's it was the only one with a COMPLETE engine in it. I have a hunch that is why it was there in the first place is cuz of engine troubles.

That just about does it for my afternoon at the junk yard. Heck, he even gave me the tools to go out and get my parts I needed!

I believe I'll start hitting these junk yards more often out here in rural America and see what surprises await me. It's unreal what you can find as I am sure many others of you can attest to.

Slater all and keep on postin'...I have learned a lot so far!

More Junkyard Bugs R