Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jun 1995 09:40:22 -0400
From:         "Chris Chubb" <cchubb@card-u1.card.ida.org>
Subject:      '67 Bus for sale. 21 window.

I was cruizing the boneyards of central PA this weekend.

First, a referrel for wannabusses of the splittie nature: My mechanic up there has a customer that wants to sell his '67 21 window bus. From what I could see, it looked mostly solid. There was a hole in the cargo bay floor and a wooden floor was installed. Some camping cabinets were also installed. No Middle seats, but all the existing upolstery was in good shape. No missing, bastardized parts. No cutting done. Drivetrain looked solid, and suspensions were rust free. All glass and rubber looked leakfree. He said that the owner would prob take the first $1000 waved under his nose. Cash is hard to come by up there. Has a 'tired' 1600cc dual port in it now. The mechanic will prob. fill your cargo bay with old engines for free if you take it. He also has a few other rusting out splitties out back. And scads of bugs.

His name is Adrian, at A+P Foreign, and his number is 412-754-8403. Tell him Chris sent you. If you are in the area, I reccomend him.

Next, a rave about crushers. I almost decked a guy at one yard that also told me that Bugs usually go onto the crusher first, because they 'have no value, except to broke hippies and rich rebuilders'. He would not think of selling the three split busses in back becasue he needed them as storage!. He would have to crush about 6 bugs to get the same tonnage in scrap as any one of the Caprice Classic wagons he had laying around. One Splittie has the most beautiful home-done camping package in it. All mahogony and brass. Looked like a sailing yacht! If I had a splittie, I would of bought if on the spot. Full length cabinets down one side and deep varnish finish. Good thing the glass is still there. I could get his phone number if anybody wants it, but I dont have it handy.

Lesson learned: Bugs are about as rare as hens teeth in central PA!

-- -- Chris Chubb (cchubb@ida.org) - (703)-845-2287 [Alexandria, VA, USA] ____________________________________________________________________ \All opinions expressed or implied may not reflect those of the \ \Institute for Defense Analyses, the US Government, or anyone else. \ --------------------------------------------------------------------