Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jun 1995 22:20:28 -0700
From:         amunro@amunro.seanet.com (Alex Munro)
Subject:      Different motor in my '79 Westy?

Hi folks. I'm new to this group, and maybe I'm just looking to get flamed here, but I'm pondering an alternate power source for my '79 Westfalia. The current motor has lasted for 189,000 miles. It isn't broken, but I was getting some of that type 1 sounding rod knock when cold, and it's compression is very low (I can push it across the parking lot when it's in gear). We love our bus, and it is not for sale. I've built two type I motors (one stock, one not so stock), and I am not afraid of the type IV, but it is going to cost a lot of money. For starters, the '79 bus and '80 vanagon are supposedly the only years that used "square" exhaust ports, and that makes heads and heater boxes harder to find. 30,000 miles ago I was thinking about buying a long block from Stephens Machine in CA. I would have spent about $1800 exchange by the time I got a clutch and new hoses,wires, etc. BUT, I can get a Jetta (rabbit) motor from Bry's (Seattle) for $400-600 including computer,harness, everything (in fact they said they would sell me the whole front half of the car so I would have it all). Of course I can get an adapter kit from Kennedy for $490. That leaves me fabricating a rear motor mount, radiator shrouding, exhaust system, and heating system. I am a CNC programmer at a very diverse machine shop, so none of this will be a big (or expensive)problem. I am not particularly bothered by computer controlled cars (it's computer controlled right now), as they are easier to diagnose than any points/twin carb car ever hoped to be. I can't use an older type I motor as people in rec.vw's suggested because I have to go through smog testing. The engine has to be same year or newer to be legal. The rabbit motors are very tough, rev freely and are cheap. So far response from others has been favorable, but I haven't spoke to anyone who has actually done it. The guy at Kennedy that I spoke to said the one he drove was very fast (he admitted he drove it hard), and that was witha stock 1.6 liter. I know it's blasphemy to suggest a water cooled motor, but at least I'm staying in the family :) I read the FAQ that described the Porsche transplant. It's intresting reading, but those motors are prohibitively expensive, and the cooling tin would be a real headache. I did see a picture of a Porsche powered bus with its front wheels at least two feet in the air once. Anybody know if that's possible? Please flame me day or night...