Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jun 95 09:58:00 edt
From:         Smith Woody <WSMITH@osfms1.hq.nasa.gov>
Subject:      Re: 5 cyl Vanagon

Bill Killian, getting a bit argumentative and defensive, wrote:

>Noisy? First complaint I've ever heard about a EV being noisy. We get >noise from the A/C but not awhole lot of engine noise. The Winnebago >conversion - I'm assuming you mean the one sold at VW dealers not the >Rialta sold at Winnebago dealers is a full foot maybe two longer than the >'regular' EV. The EV is almost assuredly nimbler than the Vanagon. A >longer test drive might have shown that to you. > >> I'm VERY disappointed. My Westie is getting (how shall I say?) a bit long >> in the tooth now. I like a QUIET car, and the Vanagon is one. The Eurovan >> is decidedly not. > >If you don't like one don't buy one. I did like it I did buy it. I'd do >it again.

Oh, I won't, don't worry. It's STILL underpowered, but now it's also horribly overpriced, and considerably less pleasant than my increasingly decrepit '86. But I will certainly criticize whatever I feel deserves criticism, and I feel quite strongly that the Eurovan deserves it.

I drove the little one, not the "real" Winnebago. You know, the one that pretends to be Son-of-Westie.

VW has taken the Vanagon, a truly unique vehicle that filled a niche that suits my needs to a "T", and replaced it with the Eurovan, a very run-of-the-mill (ugh) MINIVAN, except that it's inferior to its competitors in many, many ways like fuel economy, power, handling, reliability, noise, etc., etc., etc. It's only redeeming feature is that it remains taller than its competitors and still offers that wonderful commanding field of vision - SUVvies in front of you don't bother you. But it has lost almost all of its other virtues, virtues that made me a lifelong fan and that made me envy those who could afford Westfalias when I couldn't. Now that I can afford one, I feel betrayed.

When I first saw it at the 1992 Auto Show I was deeply saddened, because I knew that I would now never be able to purchase my dreamcar (Westie) new. When I drove the Eurovan Camper (not "around the block," but about 300 miles, trying somehow to learn to ignore its fatal shortcomings), I tried to convince myself that the superior stereo system would somehow compensate for the unpleasant growl of that surprisingly rough 5-cyl right there by my shins, but the annoyance never faded. I really wanted to like it. I was ready to buy it right then and there.

And, more importantly, it just didn't "feel" right. It didn't say, "I'm YOUR car and will be faithful to you." If you don't understand this, you should be driving a Dodge Caravan.

My old Westie hasn't slowed below 50 mph yet on any stretch of Interstate unless I told it to. I imagine that it might have trouble with 70 west out of Denver (what wouldn't? My old '72 negotiated the Eisenhower Pass at 20 mph, but made it through with its head held high), but it has NO trouble with the National Highway west of Cumberland, which I have driven many times.

I'm glad you like yours. I hope it is good for you. Personally, though, I mourn the passing of the Vanagon - a truly superior and unique vehicle. I hope to find an ALMOST unused one someday.

Woody