Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jun 1995 13:33:58 CST6CDT
From:         "Dan Houg" <fairwind@northernnet.com>
Subject:      (Fwd) Re: Westy-ectomy

Since a few of you are asking, I'm sending my comments on that Tim S. and I discussed:

> A total lobotomy! Now let's see you put it ALL back <g> > Throw in some insulation, give the A/C a break! This really frightens me!! I tried to be organized with fasteners etc but what one THINKS they will remember and what one DOES remember are always different.

> What/how many holes are there through the body? I've found an '82 Westy, as > yet unseen, for its interior. What will I have to drill/punch/saw/torch to > get it properly installed? The propane tank is missing, I was thinking of > using a regular 5lb gas bottle inside somehow anyway. The recipient is a > Syncro, like to keep my ground clearance. TIA, tim s.

I would forget the original propane tank too. Too expensive and a pain to fill. The tank holds 3 gallons but i don't know how many pounds that would equate to. Look at using a tall 20 lb cylinder and then rigging up an interior propane heater to use the extra propane! That would be my choice.

For the '87 set up there are: 3 square holes in the body panel for mounting the water connection, electric, and water tank fill.

1 wierd shaped hole for the fridge intake/exhaust above these square holes

2 floor pan holes, one for the water tank drain the other for the sink drain. there is a 3rd hole for the propane lines but you won't need that one if you go with a removable cylinder.

I was surprised by the lack of sheet metal modification for the Westy stuff. A good, sharp air saw would do them nicely. All the rest of the sheet metal appears stock.

be sure to get the floor boards out of the Westy when you scavenge it, a thing i might forget but they are different than non-westy. Overall, a much more attemptable project than I would have originally thought.

-dan