Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jun 1995 01:02:44 GMT
From:         robb@scsc.shasta.cc.ca.us (Robb Lightfoot)
Subject:      my first adventure

Well, I took my first "shakedown" trip in my 73 Westy. (I used it to travel about 500 miles one-way to visit my crazy family....)

Anyway, I feel that I'm an official member of the group now as I had a roadside adventure or two...

On the way down, about 37 miles out, the van suddenly deaccelerated and died. Thank god it was daylight and the road was wide enough to get off. I could smell gas, and I found that the copper line had popped out of my fuel pump (a 73 IV, under the car.) I jammed it back on and got back on I-5 near Red Bluff. Two miles later, it happened again. So, this time I got some wire and WIRED the thing on by lashing it to the pump.

Oh, the cleverness of me.

Now, we're making pretty good steam. Traveling at 70-75 mph loaded to the gills. Funny thing was the gas mileage seemed a little low at about 15 mpg. Must have been the speed.

We go along, and it gets a tad chilly. I go to use the heater, and it about stinks me out with gas fumes. Drat, must be leaking a little, yet. Oh, well, those in the car who are awake (6 in all, about half of us asleep....) put on blankets.

We get into Fresno at 1 a.m. to take on fuel. I pay for the stuff and walk out to see a puddle stretching from rearwheel to rearwheel and about half way up to the front of the car. Uh-oh. I look under and see that it's pretty wet under there.

So, I make a decision (the second stupidist one on the trip, as we'll see). I reason A. it has made it about 300 miles with no problem B. I'd have to wake up most of the sleeping children to work on it or stop and get a room C. I don't have a lot of money to deal with this now. SO, we move on.

Wonder of wonders, we arrive in Bakersfield at about 2:30 a.m.

The next day I look under it again, doesn't look so bad. I resolve to buy another pump as soon as possible. I drive about 10 miles to visit another disfunctional relative. I get there, and man oh man, the puddle under the car is HUGE. Definintely not drivable anymore, a wonder we weren't all incinerated.

I park the thing, and my dad takes me to a local parts shop. Choices are A. $40 for a Brazlinian pump or B. $150 for a German pump. Well, I can't afford either, so I opt for the Latin American flavor. (Oh, yeah, "C" is $300 for a dealer-supplied German pump. Guess it was a tough choice, huh?) Turns out that buying Brazlian was the third stupidist decision I'd make on this trip.

I call the dealership and get a flat rate to get an idea of how hard it will be to change the pump. $55, one hour, subject to inspection. What does "subject to inspection" mean? It means, they say, "if it has air or some other accessories, it could be more. Well, I don't have air or anything other than the westy setup. So, I figure, no big deal.

I get back and go under the van in front of dad's house. Man, what a bugger. The lower bolt, allen headed, is easy to get to , but the upper one has a piece of tinwork in front of it. Bummer. So, I try to pull the tinwork. I can get MOST of the nuts off, but one remains "way up there."

I'm due for a meeting with other family members in an hour. So, I decide to use some force. (No, this isn't the stupidist decision. Stay tuned.) I pry the tin away enough to get to the upper bolt. But it takes an hour to change the pump out. Now comes the really stupid decision.

I reason, hey, this fuel line could be 22 years old, probably ought to change it. So, I buy some new, German fuel line (I splurge :) ) and hook it to the new pump. Old pump is still hanging there. I then undoor the line at the tank, overhead and proceed to have gas go everywhere. I had expected some, but oh-la-wee. Put new line on, and oh-oh, the work clamp jams. I try to leave the line on, but the tank is full enough it blows the new line off. So, I'm laying under the car with a clamp that won't tighten and a line that I can't get to stay on. Meanwhile, gas is going EVERYWHERE, running all over me, all over the blank I'm using as a creeper, down the gutter. I hear cars whizzing by and wonder if anyone is about to throw a butt out the window. (Remember the scene from The Great Waldo Pepper? I sure did?!)

All this is going on, and my dad had stepped into the house to get something. About 20-30 minutes later, he reemerges, horrified (and I though he didn't like me!) He gets me another clamp. I STILL can't get it on properly, but at least it allows the host to stay on.

I get out from under the car, I was NEVER so glad to get out of a place, and we push the car out of the huge puddle.

We manage to get it up partially on the curb to give me more room. About 15 minutes and lots of gasoline later, I get it on tight.

Thank God, I go into the house, shower and change clothes. My skin is hamburger from having gas on it so long, but I'm glad to be out of the ordeal.

But the fun isn't over yet. We fire it up and look for leaks. POURING out of the right carb is a huge gas leak. Ah, yeah, dad. I didn't actually check to see if it was the PUMP leaking gas. Well, we tightended the brass nuts on the float bowls on both sides. No more gass leaks. I prepare to leave to get cleaned up and go to a wedding. My father looks more worried than I've ever seen him in his life. (I forgot until later that his father was seriously burned and his kid brother burned to death.) He offered me a ride back to my sisters....but no, I trust this big ole van to get me home...

Now I wish I could say that this WAS the end of this story, but it gets better. We marry my brother off, with whom I barely speak.... And I proceed to head back upstate, again late at night. (Gotta travel when it is cool and when the kids sleep.) About 35 miles down the road, the van begans to cough and sputter. What gives? Probably a batch of bad gas, couldn't be a NEW pump failing. Pull over, put in some STP and a fresh tank, pull on the road again. Works fine. Another 35 miles and the van struggles to do 65. Well, I DO have all that stuff strapped on top. At 50 miles, 85 total out of Bakersfield and almost to Fresno, the van won't do 55. So, I keep on trucking at 50-45-40-35. We reach Fresno at 25 mph and know we've got to stop.

I rent a room and we get the kids to bed. I can't sleep (wonder why), then, from deep inside my brain I recall the converstation at the part house.

Me: What's this little hose here. The extra one.

Parts guy (AKA HIM): Oh, it's a vent.

Me: A VENT?

Him: Yeah, they had some problems with the pump building up pressure and this is supposed to fix it.

Me: Oh, OK.

So, I go out to the van and dig up the old pump. I get out the toolbox, find a file and a tube of locktite, and spend the next hour cleaning and refitting the copper line to the pump. (Squirting gas in my face for good measure. Seems like I can't get near gasoline without getting a faceful.)

Next morning, I arise at 6 a.m. and have the new/old pump in by 6:45. Only a drop (in the eye, ouch) this time.

IT WORKS. No gas leaking. But will I have a power problem (no snickering I mean any more so than usual?)

Nope. All well.

I now reflect on the difference between a German pump at about $110 extra. I guess the extra cost is due to one small fact. The GERMAN PUMP WORKS! The kicker is, though, I read the manual AFTER all this, and it says: "Engine must be pulled in 73-74 ..." Glad I hadn't read THAT!