Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jun 1995 08:17:46 -0700
From:         Dave Johnson <djohnson@hpvclu.vcd.hp.com>
Subject:      [w] AMC head questions, leaky head diagnostics

Anyone have experience with AMC heads for water-cooled vanagons? AMC makes these heads in Spain. My mechanics quotes US$ 850/pair for brand new heads w/valves, camshaft, etc. He says that VW made heads are extremely expensive. Total bill for new heads, gaskets, and labor is around $1600.

The reason I need new heads is that combustion gas is forcing itself passed the head gasket into the cooling system, which eventually leads to an overflowing coolant reservoir tank. The mechanic used a neat test to confirm my worst fears -- he tested for the presence of carbon monoxide in the cooling system. Used a sensor similar to the one you would find at an emissions test. He also said that abnormally clean spark plugs indicate steam in the cylinders. I had 3 of 4 clean spark plugs :-(.

In the mean time, I still drive my van, but I must replace coolant about every 200 miles with the following procedure:

1. Park the van on an incline, front end higher. My driveway works well. 2. Wait for things to cool off -- at least 2 hours. 3. Carefully open the expansion tank cap. Allow the coolant level to rise to the top. Close cap tightly. 4. Drain the reservoir tank down the the "min" level. Capture coolant into a bottle. 5. Transfer coolant to a squeeze bottle (used in chem labs to dispense DI water, alcohol, etc). 6. Remove the bleed screw on the radiator. Insert hose from the squeeze bottle and fill up the radiator.

BTW, the BBB Autoline refused my claim. The reasoned that my vanagon was too old and had too many miles ('84 with 102,000 miles). It was worth a try.

Thanks for your input.

Dave Johnson