Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jun 1995 14:45:00 +0500
From:         wigley@server.uwindsor.ca (Neil Wigley)
Subject:      Baja and Mexico

We spent 10 days in Baja this Spring with eleven other people, all of them Baja experts (most of the common denominator was the primitive cave paintings which can be found in many parts of the peninsula -- they compare favorably with those of Altamira in N. Spain). The general concensus was that there ain't no theft in Baja, except in the big cities (and Tijuana is now #3 in Mexico, isn't it?).

I think the world over it's in the crowded areas with poor people and visible tourists that you get problems. Certainly there's much more crime aimed at tourists in Italy than in Mexico, from what I hear. And if you're driving a bus in Mexico you're probably going to spend most of your time in the boondocks; precisely where problems are minimal.

There have been cases of bandits in certain very selected parts of Mexico, e.g. Chiapas a few years back. These guys are to be avoided, certainly. But I think that with a bit of caution (ask AAA before you go, for instance, and talk to other knowledgable tourists) the probability of getting into serious trouble in Mexico is not different from the probability of getting bombed in Israel. It makes for great headlines, but the probabilities are very low.

Northern Europeans (Lars Poulsen: let me guess, Swedish?) especially find Mexico enchanting and the people charming. There is a ton of culture, lots of poverty and lots of dignity at the same time.

I would encourage you to go. Buy the insurance at the border (a few bucks a day), drive defensively, never ever drive at night, and don't trust anybody at the Pemex stations, where a lot of cheap cons congregate (and some damned poor people as well). Your friends are the green Turismo trucks (The Green Patrol, or Patrulla Verde, on the major highways). But most everybody else is friendly and helpful.

I've been going to Mexico since the first trip in 1949. Once we got screwed at a Pemex station (paid double, big deal!); another time my two-month-old '84 Mazda got key scratches from a pair of eight-yr-olds in Oaxaca. Other than that I can't recall any difficulties whatsoever. Oh, yeah; New Year's Day AM in Mexico City I got shook down by a couple of cops who wanted to impound the car and take my driver's license, because I had failed to signal a turn. Traffic was non-existent due to the holiday and the night before. They suddenly became very friendly when I suggested referring the matter to the Oficina de Turismo. End of problem.

Neil Wigley U of Windsor <wigley@server.uwindsor.ca>