Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Jun 95 09:48:25 -0700
From:         KERRY_REITERMAN@HP-PaloAlto-om4.om.hp.com
Subject:      List questions

Item Subject: Vent your Mileage & other Q's ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello... I've been following the digest for some time now... Very enjoyable. I've some questions that to pose to the collective wisdom.

1) What creative ways have you discovered for the ashtray in the middle of your Vanagon dashboard? There should be something useful for us non smokers.

2) On late 80's Vanagons, the two rear side windows have louvered vents. Do these seem to help the air circulation in the back? Do they add any wind noise??

3) On the late 80's Vanagons with the lowered springs (You know who you are you van has approximately one fist height between the top of the front wheel and the body...My 85 has nearly two fist heights or 1 3/4" more height!) Is your mileage in the 19-20 mpg ?? My Westie is getting 16mpg. I think the math works out that 15 k miles yr / 15 mpg * 1.5$ a gal = $1406 US. If I can improve the mileage to 20 mpg then I could save $281 a year. (Optimistically) I could almost pay for the lowered spring setup from Bus boys in the first year but really in the second year.

4) Any suggestions on improving the radio reception? Do you have a powered antenna - I don't mean a retractable antenna- but a power lead (as well as the wire from ) the antenna?

5) The 914-6 engine for air cooled engines sounds fun but $$. This is a long shot but...how about the 5 speed transmission mated with the waterboxer??? Mechanically impossible???

6) Your thoughts on FAQ for Vanagons... Interesting topics have been / might be...Tires...shock absorbers...head gasket problems... oil...CB radio's... Gas mileage.."California look" windows...a listing of catalogues for parts... music sound systems...Vanagons & varieties in different countries...England, Germany, Canada, Mexico, South Africa... Propane discussions...

7) I looked at the Geneva web page showing the new Ford/VW van...Looks a lot like the Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager. Is this the end of the larger VW's Vans?

8) I see a number of postings for Van's to buy & sell. Perhaps a list of Newspaper Webpages that offer FREE browseing of the classifieds would be useful. The San Jose Mercury News offers this service. Those looking can do a key word search.

9) VW's as an investment?? In the last year or so, used Westie prices are climbing. I've seen a number of 88-90 Westies for $18-20K. Very close to orginal asking price! Certainly not following the traditional $2k a year loss in depreciation! (not factoring in repairs here).

Well, thats enough from my coffee leaded brain. I always enjoy reading the digests.

Kerry 85 Westie