Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Jun 1995 08:24:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:         John_K_Hopp <jhopp@unm.edu>
Subject:      Re: Performance Decisions

@@I put this to you::::::: Ramona and I are about to embark on a @@cross-country voyage to Colorado where we will live in rust-free @@harmony for @@the immediate future. Ramona needs upgrading before the onset of serious @@travel and I've obtained a Bus Stop catalog from Rocky Mtn. Motorworks. Is @@this a good co. to deal with? (I realize I just opened up a can of worms @@there...) In shopping for a new long-block engine, how do theirs compare to @@others? The two choices I have are the stock 1600cc remanufactured and the @@"high performance" 1641cc

I agree with an earlier post whic sez that the 1600 _will_ run cooler. My FLARS suggested this. I run my '70 with a 1600DP in the mountains here and in Colorado--runs fine, albeit slowly. It's basically a stock rebuild, done by the FLARS. I see a lot of scenery via the turnouts alongside the road--to let the hurried tourists by.

@@I wanna be sure she'll have enough power to @@tow a small trailer and my camping gear.

Tough, but possible. Can you afford any kind of high performance mods, like the heavy duty parts (aforementioned, in Eug's msg.)? I've had mine loaded to the gills and it performed OK (@ 20MPH up a 12,000ft pass).

@@Also, how do I check to see if my @@oil cooler is in good shape? Engine out?? How does one tell if it's shot?

Your FLARS should be able to "tank" that part--or order a new one if/when you mail-order yer motor. St. Muir has a mini-procedure on that (?)

Hope this is of help--good luck!

JKH--Univ. of New Mexico