Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         20 Jun 1995 14:41:20 -0700
From:         "Harvey Chao" <Harvey_Chao@smtp.svl.trw.com>
Subject:      Re - Electrical Leak proble

This is my first attempt to post to the group a large - hope I got it right.

For any of you diesel owners - I had a similar problem to Drew - my wife parked the van with a 2 week old new "Die Hard" battery and came back 20 minutes later to a dead battery. Had no time to futz with it so I came and got her and went back the next A.M. First thing I noticed was no dome lights, no lights, no radio - NADA. Metered the battery and it was zero!! Jumped it and took it back to Sears. They checked things and said I had a short. So I took it home and disconnected the battery and thought about it as I prepared to successively reconnect the various leads to the + terminal. It occurred to me that to drain a new battery below the point of being able to crank a warm engine in 20 minutes is a BIG short, and what could draw that much amps without burning something up?? Answer, Glow Plugs!! Turned out that the contacts inside the glow plug relay had arced closed. It is possible to open/remove the cover to that relay, pop the contacts open, burnish and reinstall. Bought a new relay as soon as I could. In the mean time, I have added an indicator light at the dashboard that is hot wire to the glow plug bus, and other wire to ground. Anytime there is power on the glowplug bus, the lamp is on. This is important to know - besides possibly running down your battery. I saw what was left of a head and piston where the owner had run down the highway unknowing that his glow plugs were stuck "on" It destroyed both the head and the one of the pistons.

On the topic of rebuilding clutch slave cyliders. I can't remember the exact year, but parts from a bug wheel brake cylinder have been used to rebuild the clutch slave cylinder. I would caution that the one time in my personal experience that this was done, it only lasted about a year or so. Be sure to use lock washers when you reinstall the slave cylinder least it come loose and strand you without a clutch (as my wife complained to me as she abandoned it at the curb, fortunately only 3 blocks from home, but boy was she pi_ _ _ _! - I somehow managed to get it into 1st or 2nd gear, CAREFULLY checked traffic and hit the starter, pulling onto the road as I did so and then headed home in that gear.)

For Your Information dcp'90