Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Jun 1995 10:08:49 MST
From:         "Mike White" <MIKE.WHITE@law.utah.edu>
Subject:      Mike's '57 Deluxe Update

In the spirit of Thom...

Well it is almost a sad time. I put the '67 up for sale. I dropped it off in our little town (4,000) on the main street, and got a call on it no more than 10 minutes later. He offered $2700 cash; I think I'll do it. I also got a couple other calls. It will be tough to part with it!

The '57 is coming along slowly. I took my first lesson in Muir and adjusted my valves on the 1776cc in it. It was pretty fun to do. I'm still getting grease out from under my nails... :)

I took the early 60's bumpers that I have on it to a semi-friend to have him take off the over-riders and paint the blades sealing wax red. (To simulate real 50's bumpers w/o spending $600+ for a set!) Well he calls me telling me they are all done. I go down to get them and what do you know, the front bumper looks more beat up than I remember it. Well there sits in the corner my REAL (totally perfect) bumper w/ over-riders and all still sitting where I dumped it. He was trying to pawn off some schlingy other bumper thinking I wouldn't notice. So he was mildly pissed that I noticed. Tough! Lesson: Watch your body person...

I was under the bus trying to bleed the brakes in front, and noticed that the rubber brake hoses are totally rotten and cracked (I assume the cloth part underneath is still ok since the brakes sort of work.) Anyhow, I have been trying to get them off, but where the hose hooks to the metal hose by the frame I cant figure how to get the thing undone. It just turns when I use the wrench on it, and the nut on the metal part seems to do the same. Tricks?

Wasn't someone saying that these rubber brake lines tend to swell when they get old, causing erratic braking. I certainly have a case of erratic braking! The bus is all over the place.

I got the VW Emblem back from the chrome shop. It is absolutely perfect! $25 well spent! Trying to put it on is a pain as usual. I used real tight speednuts so the local punks won't get it off without a fight. But that top one is a bitty! Getting your hands between the defrost vents is almost impossible!

What do you all think about $80 for a set of original 15" wheels?

Well that's about all from this corner of VWLandegnugen.

- Mike White

[Mail: mike.white@law.utah.edu - mwhite@eng.utah.edu] [http://www.cc.utah.edu/~mw1759/index.html]