Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Jun 95 13:20:32 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: rec.autos.vw call for votes

On Wed, 21 Jun 95 11:33:54 CDT Sean O'Neil said: >We should discuss this.... >It seems to me that the van/bus owners have much more in common than their >motors. For us vanagon types it will mean having to make cross-postings to >both AC & WC in rec.autos. >A division similar to that used for repair manuals i.e."VW Vanagon >1980-1991" would work as well and allow for the AC & WC types to live in >the same space - thereby preserving continuity of VW lore, expertise, and >evolution.

my understanding is that it (the division) is primarily for the beetles/ghia crowd versus the rabbit/jetta/whatever crowd. we buses have more or less been left out of the consideration (as there are waaaay fewer of us than of the beetles, ghias, rabbits, golfs, jettas, passats, quantums, corrados, and whatever else them little things is called).

which is why this list was started (more or less ... i really think Gerry was just bored! :) ... cause there was too much "beetle" on the VINTAGEVW list, and not everybody could get to rec.autos.vw (and be swamped by the water-pumping front-wheel driving dinkies). so here we are.

>What think you all? There is probably enough people on this list to have a >significant swing vote.

regrettably, i don't get rec.autos.vw with any consistency, so i'm kinda of the optinion that maybe i shouldn't voice a vote on this. THIS list is more than enough for me (with a few side-trips to snoop around other vw-related stuff here and there), but i personally think it would probably be a good thing. i'm not crazy about the names that were chosen, but then i didn't get a vote on the weather, either. :)

but the rabbits and golfs and such seem to be young folks of lessened interest in history and tradition of VW per se. just as the beetle folks don't seem to care much for buses and 411/412's and porsche 914's and even porsches in general (cause the porsche folks all seem to be snobs anyway ... well, a large number of them). so i think it would be better for them (and the beetle people) that the rabbits/golfs would go off together in their own group. those of us who DO care about history and traditon will just have to read more and faster. :)

so think about it. make up your mind, one way or the other. and when the gizmo comes out, vote. if you can't get rec.autos.vw, then maybe don't vote.

and, no, i'm not sure any of this makes any sense. i have a headache. i just got back from talking to the insurance people and i am NOT happy. :(

joel