Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jun 1995 12:06:44 -0700
From:         Dennis Gentry <dennis@cpac.washington.edu>
Subject:      72 Bus project -- lotsa questions

Hi All,

Perhaps someone can give me some advice on my options. I have (among other vehicles) a '72 bus. While I was living in Mexico, I had it painted and had the interior redone. It took forever to get them to do things right, but the paint looks pretty nice now. Now I think it might be time for some engine and transmission work.

The engine (a 1700 rebuilt in 1983) has something like 110K miles on it; the heads have maybe 15K-20K hard miles on them, and I think it's starting to burn oil. (Can't tell for sure because it also leaks oil, but a friend following me says she saw oil smoke coming from the exhaust pipe)

The transmission has 220K+ miles on it and seems to be getting louder than it used to be (whining under load, etc.). I should probably check the fluid level (it's been a year), but even so it seems like 220K miles is a long life for a transmission.

So I am considering upgrading the pair by purchasing a new tranny and engine from one of the engine builders who advertises in VW T&A. Can anyone give me advice on which rebuilder to use or avoid? I am considering a 2000cc motor and matching transmission. Am I likely to have any problems fitting these into my '72 chassis?

Alternately, perhaps I will just buy a new tranny and rebuild the motor myself; in that case is it worth it to go to larger cylinders, longer rods, and the headwork to turn my 1700 into a 2000?

I have an old single weber carb right now that's showing its age. Any advice on new, improved, possibly even legal carburetion (or, with the 2 liter, FI)?

This bus once had air conditioning, I think installed (and later removed) by the mechanic that owned it before I did. Now that I live in California, I'm considering A/C again. Will a 2 liter engine be significantly better in case I decide to re-install A/C?

Finally, does anyone have a 72 or similar vintage brick with a working, non-oily smelling heater, or am I doomed to driving a cold or smelly bus? I have been totally unable to track down the source of the oil smell in my heater. Even before this engine had oil leaks, the heater smelled oily. The heat exchangers seem pretty well sealed up (and new ones are expensive!), so I don't see how engine air would get into the heater system. I figure this will all be easier to figure out once I get the old drivetrain out, and no doubt a new engine will be less oily smelling anyway, but I would like to have a working, fresh air heater even after the new engine gets leaky again, as all aircooled VW engines seem to eventually leak oil.

Enough questions for now...

Thanks! Dennis P.S. If people reply to me privately, I promise to summmarize to the list.