Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jun 1995 19:38:44 -0700
From:         wabbott@townshend.Corp.Megatest.COM (William Abbott)
Subject:      exchange drives, toy Eurovan/Caravelle Kombi, tranny support, wreck.autos...

Someday, when my pickup is running, I would be happy to do a swap- you cruse mine, I cruse yours, after some kind of getting-to-know-us period, everyone carries appropriate insurance. Of course, who wants to cruse around California in a '70 bus pickup?

For those who have to have toy VWs too, Majorette, the french 'Matchbox'-size toy maker, has a EUROVAN!! I bought one for $0.99 at the local Toys R Us. Its got a PLASTIC body, and a really stupid '3d' or 'changing' art inside the windows, but you can pry the body gently off the chassis, remove the stupid stuff in the windows and reveal the complete Kombi interior (front seats only). The whole roof is transparent, and the side is emblazoned "Melting Mel". Mine is black, and fans of old VWs could paint the roof red.... or black, or white, or whatever. WAY cool considering I paid $7 or sp for a SUKU Caravelle at the Kelly Park Bug Show to give to a friend who has a Eurovan.

Rich Smith wonders how to strap-up a tranny for a tow. Well, if its a tow with all four wheels on the ground, I'd use a couple of stout ropes tied into the framework above the tranny. Make it WAY stronger than you think it needs to be. Chain or steel cable would be good if you can work with it. I suppose gigantic nylon tie-wraps like the phone company uses would work too... I would NOT use bungee cords or coat-hanger wires.

For wreck.autos.vw... I don't find it a convivial place, but will find it less so when split into air and water cooled camps. I own one of each, I guess I'm just some kind of nut... :)