Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jun 1995 04:03:56 -0600 (MDT)
From:         Stuart Hutton <hutton@poly.oscs.montana.edu>
Subject:      vanagon diesel pan problems: My solution

Hello fellow stranded (50-75 % chance) vanagon people, I posted a while back a plea for help with my diesel oil pan. As you might recall, I had broken one of the seats off of it and it would not hold oil. Here is the solution which I have ... it might not be perfect, but it stopped that one leak ... I removed the pan. That's the easy part. Then I got some NAPA brake cleaner and cleaned the thing. Then, I took it to the rattiest-looking welding shop that does aluminum welding that I could find and they welded over the bottom hole for $20. I then got some locktight which is supposed to be resistant to oil and put it around the threads of my oil screw. It has sure stopped that leak. Oh, the final step: I put the oil pan back on. That is a tedious operation that takes about 2 hours or so to do right. Anyway, that one leak is now finished. However, I will need to some up with some kind of oil pumping solution to change oil since I really don't want to take that bolt out again. Now .. if I could just figure out why my engine makes such horrible sounds and is so very loud ... Stuart Hutton