Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jun 1995 07:49:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:         tfab@netcom.com (thom fitzpatrick)
Subject:      New Bus!

Hi!,

I bought another bus!

Yesterday I had to go to FOlsom to pull some cable in one of our stores On the way there, I saw what looked like a bus in someones back yard, next to a barn. I made a mental note of it so could go go back and look later.

I went out after work to have a look see. I went up to the house, and the old guy that owned the place told me he's had it for a while, and he's got a bunch of stuff stored in it. So I told him I might be interested in buying it.

We go out back, and start pulling crap off this bus, and it turns out its a panel. Somewhat dissapointed, I figure I'll just check it out and maybe someone I know will be interested in it.

As I'm clearing crap out around it, something in the back of my mind is going off but I can't tell what it is, and then it hits me - this is a _barndoor_ panel!

I scampered around to the back, and sure enough, there's the famous engine lid, with the proper lights and reflector! (only 1) I pull the lid open (a bit stiff - the hinges are kinda crusty) and there is the hand crank laying on the rear apron. He told me it was left there from when someone tried to start it several years ago.

I told him I wanted it, and we dickered, and settled on $200. At this point I was about ready to explode - it was all I could do to keep from running thru the streets yelling "I have a barndoor! I have a barndoor!"

I Went to the local 7-11 and pulled out $300 in cash (200 for the bus, 100 to cover the tow) and called a tow truck. I went back and he hooked up this old, old massey-ferguson tractor to pull it out.

This bus is in remarkably good shape for having sat for 20 or so years, a little rust in the front floor pans and in the rockers, but all the pieces are there (including the 3-bolt front emblem)

So I got it home and parked it on the side yard, where the '56 used to sit until I got it running, and waited for my SO to come home so I could show her my new project! She told me I could have as many busses as I wanted, so long as I kept 1 girl. Had to think about that - about .001u seconds!

She's late coming 'cause of a meeting, so I lay down on the couch with a couple of bus books and start looking at what thebus has and what the ones in the book have etc.

She slides in around 9 or so, to find me asleep on the couch. When I hear her come in the door, I jump up excitedly and start telling her about my new find. She is in absolute disbelief! SO I take her outside to show her "close your eyes" says I! And we go out, and the bus is gone. The whole thing was a dream! And if you got this far into the message, take the hook out of your mouth and go have some more nite crawlers. Happy friday.

Thom -- > What is a "free" gift ? Aren't all gifts free? Thom Fitzpatrick & Amy Burgess tfab@netcom.com '56 VW Sunroof Kombi '72 Porsche 911T Targa '78 BMW 530i Desperately seeking '51-'55 Barndoor Deluxe Project