Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Jun 1995 10:57:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:         tfab@netcom.com (thom fitzpatrick)
Subject:      Distilled vs. Tap H20, chemical explanation. (fwd)

I got this off the Porsche list, and I thought it was a pretty good disertation on rust and "proper" antifreeze, both of which are irrelevant to me because I live in California and have only air-cooled cars!

BLenoble@aol.com coughed up: > From porschephiles-request@tta.com Thu Jun 8 10:37:24 1995 > From: BLenoble@aol.com > Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 13:16:45 -0400 > Message-Id: <950608131644_89843887@aol.com> > To: porschephiles@tta.com > Subject: Distilled vs. Tap H20, chemical explanation. > > > >From my brother the Chemist: > > > >I decided to do a little experiment. I polished a small sheet of > >aluminum, washed it with a solvent, and cut off 4 strips. I placed > >each strip in identical jars which had been cleaned in a laboratory. > >I filled each jar as follows: > > > >1. 100% distilled water > >2. 100% tap water > >3. 100% Prestone > >4. 50% Prestone, 50% distilled water > > > >That was May 19th. Today, here are the results so far: > > > >1. White precipitate (flakes) coating the top surface of the > >aluminum. (looks almost like 1 mm specs of dandruff) There are > >also flakes settled at the bottom of the jar. > > > >2. About 1/4 the precipitate of jar 1. The flakes are much smaller, > >almost making the water look cloudy rather looking like they are in > >suspension. > > Also visible are small gray specs of corrosion on the aluminum > >(not visible in jar 1 perhaps due to the thick coating of flakes). > > > >3 & 4. No discernable precipitate or cloudiness. Aluminum surface > >still as satiny as when first polished. > > > >So jars 3 & 4 proves what we all know already, that antifreeze > >prevents corrosion. Only time will tell whether my use of an > >antifreeze which probably has phosphates will make any difference. > >Unfortunately, I don't have phosphate-free antifreeze to use for a 5th jar. > > > >However, jars 1 and 2 behave the opposite as I would have expected. > >Any chemists out there to explain why using distilled water produced more > >precipitate than tap water? > > > >Joe '86 944 > > > > > This is actually an interesting question from a chemistry > point of view. Being an analytical chemist and not a > inorganic chemist this is not my direct forte. I will give > my attempt at an explanation. > > Here goes; First we need to think about what corrosion is to > understand the chemistry involved. Corrosion, as used in > this E-Mail, would be the oxidation of metals to form metal > salts and precipitates. Different metals will oxidize to > form different metal salts. Rust is the classic oxidation > product of Iron. > > For those who forgot their general chemistry oxidation is > the loss of electrons. This is promoted by what is called a > oxidizing agent. An oxidizing agent is something that wants > an electron or is electron deficient. Chlorine (Cl) is one > of the best oxidizing agents there is. Cl is one electron > short of a full electron state. So it will take an electron > from anywhere it can. > > Next we must look at what metals come in contact with the > coolant to figure out what things may be corroded. In most > cars that would be Iron (Fe), Aluminum (Al), and steel > (which is a blend of Fe, Carbon, and other metals, like > Nickel (Ni) and Chromium (Cr). Any of these can be oxidized. > > Al is easily oxidized, more so then Fe or steel. The reason > that Al looks dull is the surface is oxidized and this > prevents further oxidation. If you polish Al it will oxidize > immediately and if you continue to polish it will continue > to oxidize. > > Now to the heart of the matter. Why did they Al in distilled > water oxidize more then in tap? The answer is that distilled > water is more reactive then tap water. This is because in > distilled water you need to think of the water as a lose > association of H+ and 2O- ions. These ions can react or > oxidize metals. Tap water has other ions like (Fe3+, Mg3+, > Fe2+, Ca2+, Cl-, F-). These ions will form lose > associations with the H+ and the O- and make the water less > reactive. > > The bottom line is that you should use antifreeze and tap > water as your coolant. Antifreeze is designed to help > prevent corrosion. At some other time I can talk about what > is in antifreeze and how it works. > > Send your next chem question at Rod.Lenoble@Hauser.com > > Barry Lenoble > Blenoble@aol.com > 89 944 Turbo, Alpine White > >

-- Thom Fitzpatrick tfab@netcom.com