Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jun 1995 13:40:51 +0200 (SAT)
From:         Wouter de Waal <wrm@aztec.co.za>
Subject:      Dunno, really :-)

Hi there everyone

I get the digest, and I'm catching up 'cause I fell behind, which is a terrible thing to do with the kind of volume of email I get (VintagVW, Vanagon, Porsche)

SO: Martha, great borscht recipe <chuckle>

Eric, yes I can use a Type IV FI engine, but if you thought California was far away...

Somebody wanted to know about 5 cylinder syncros in South Africa. Yes that's what we have, the Audi engine gets a modified bell housing to the engine (aftermarket guys either get this bell housing or use an adaptor plate) This setup can adapt either the older 2.2l carb engines or the newer 2.5i engines to the transmission, syncros too. So right now there are two different engines available, the 1800 Golf/Jetta/Rabbit engine (entry level) and the 2.5. Panel vans get (I think) only the 1800 and Syncros/Caravelles only the 2.5

My speedo on the Puma was reading wrong too. So I matched speed with my wife (In her car :-) and checked my indicated speed when she was doing 100 km/h. Now here comes the kludge. Disassemble the speedo, hold the little cup thing still with the needle pointing at whatever your incorrectly indicated speed was, then move (bend?) the needle to indicate the correct speed. (make sense?) Well now my speedo is correct at two points, 0 and 100 :-)

And I sorted out the strange vibrations I had at 2000 rpm, by dropping the engine & transmission, and fitting the transmission the right way (Fingers & eyes crossed, full moon at 12 noon, sacrificed a black goat the previous evening ... :)

THOM! I just remembered, _this_ is actually what I wanted to say (hope you're still with me.... My alpha test 6V->12V converter is charging a 3.6ah gell cell right now. Seems to deliver around 1A max, and hasn't blown up yet :) (This is for an alarm for a friends 6V Karmann Ghia, the alarm also gets some surgery, but it'll work...)

Wouter