Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jun 95 10:18:54 EDT
From:         Richard <rapalmer@unity.ncsu.edu>
Subject:      Good things about Busses

Well, after being keyed the other day, of course my speedometer cable finally decided to break, after wobbling for the last couple thousand miles. Since negative energy was now abounding, I resolved to right the whole situation. A friend with a Jetta had been whining about $100 plus to replace his cable, so imagine my great pleasure to purchase the cable and wheel bearing cap for only $17.00. Upon removing the old cable, my friend and I discovered the meter was binding up a bit, so we decided to remove it and check it out. Inspection showed 28 year old grease had become rather gunky, and this was sticking things up. We cleaned and replaced all the grease, and while we were in there, I replaced all the faded colored plastic pieces that cover the indicator lights. We also replaced all the bad bulbs, and then put the whole mess back together. Amazing! My speedometer now moves like a Rolex, and is well lighted, and all my indicator lights are bright and colorful! It is definately a good thing. And alll this for under $20.00, and a few hours time. Certainly a good thing, and great refresher for Brownie and myself. Richard